Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Zika Virus Italy (merged)

Here we go again :-(

I’d like to know if anyone in GA has tried to play hardball on this, by quoting ICAO Annex 9 phrases which makes what they are doing essentially in violation of it. Even if the arguments are tenuous, just going through the process of challenging the authority on the basis that it violates ICAO directives might causes some waves. Of course it would likely also cause some delays, but threatening legal action can sometimes get some interesting results (+ & ) ;)

E.g:
Annex 9, section E. Disinfection of Aircraft, 2.31(b) says “the disinsection shall be undertaken by procedures that are in accordance with the aircraft manufacturer”. So one could demand proof that the procedures described in the above link are in accordance with the manufacturer (Cessna, Piper, etc). Without such proof, the procedures are clearly not in line with the ICAO requirements.

Another option would be to write them indicating that this is considered harassment of GA and the visit to Sardinia has been cancelled as a result, with copy to the corresponding local Italian Embassy. Might not have any effect, but if enough people did it there might be some realization of a negative economic impact. It worked with the crazy wealth tax a few years ago. Of course it would only work if actually acted upon.

LSZK, Switzerland

It is amazing people are still worried about zika. Have a look at this:

EBKT

Hello all,

I am planning a flight to Olbia (LIEO) as a I did several times already.
In an e-mail from the handling-office there is a link now: http://www.eccelsa.com/index.php/fbo-services/zika.
How seriou is this? any recent experiences?

Snarf

Snarf
EDDG EDWN

Not sure where the inference kindly attributed to me comes from.

The problem with this Zika virus stuff is that it is really serious if your aircraft is forcibly sprayed. One bizjet pilot reported such a case and having to get the toxic stuff off the instrument panel etc.

All the reports of “nothing happening” are great but they don’t prove a change of government policy.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter, 90 % of my flights are to Italy and the standard is that nothing happens. What you seem to infer is that a few exceptions have become the standard which is not the case. I have never been asked anything about Zika neither have I ever been requested to sign anything.

Could it happen that I find an overzealous state employee somewhere in Italy? Probably….chances are much greater in Italy that they are drinking a coffee somewhere than in any other country.

LSZH

Acc to the staff there, this is the new standard procedure across Italy now (for GA at least)

I’ve been last weekend at Trento, nearby Bolzano and was asked nothing at all. According to this it is not the italian standard procedure. Maybe on main airports?

EDDS , Germany

Does this mean arrival from Greece (where I have read Zika is present) would require disinfectation? Do other EU countries have the same requirement?

Last Edited by WhiskeyPapa at 18 Mar 08:09
Tököl LHTL

I wonder if anyone else can confirm this is now the general situation for Italy?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Update Feb’17

When arriving in Bolzano LIPB, I was asked to fill a declaration that the plane has only been used outside of potential ZIKA areas, essentially within Europe.

That was it. But at the same time a first in Bolzano.
Acc to the staff there, this is the new standard procedure across Italy now (for GA at least)

Last Edited by ch.ess at 28 Feb 07:03
EDM_, Germany

‘Waters part’ reminded me of:

Private field, Mallorca, Spain
64 Posts
Sign in to add your message