Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

VFR Route Cannes (LFMD) to Venezia S. Nicolò (LIPV) help please!

This will be my first trip to Italy (hopefully!). I am planning to avoid flying over the alps as I haven’t finished my IR yet and don’t want to be too reliant on perfect Wx.

I was just wondering about the reality of getting cleared across all of the airspace enroute. I was planning on 6000ft – 9000ft over the higher ground.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. EuroGa hasn’t failed me yet ! :-).

Last Edited by Alex_ at 29 Jul 22:05
Alex
Shoreham (EGKA) White Waltham (EGLM), United Kingdom

While I’m sure Bosco will be around soon to explain Italy in detail, why don’t you route south of Genoa and Parma? Avoids several airspaces.

I thought much the same:

• Bosco is the main authority about flying in Italy, especially if IFR is not an absolute requirement
  • Italy has two focal points of activity, Rome and Milan – keeping as far as possible from either will avoid a lot of annoyance

That said, some typos confused me … fished=>finished? planing=>planning? It can all be made out but I do feel a bit worn out.

Last Edited by at 29 Jul 21:55
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Thanks @172driver. I was routing to avoid high ground…that is a good point

Alex

One finger typos now corrected I hope!

Alex

Thanks, @Alex_
About ( flying in ) Italy: sometimes things are less organised than the average Northerner might expect, but an amazing lot of things can be arranged.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Buenos días amigos!

First, of all, only one year ago, such routing at such altitudes would not have been, possible, since it would have crossed some bits of class A airspace. Since then, the Milan TMA has been re-designed, which we discussed here.

Now, as you can see in your own screenshot, all you have to deal with is class D. So, in theory, it can be done, and most probably, also in practice. But obviously, you do need outs, i.e. you do need to know in every single minute where you can/must go if some clearance is not forthcoming. This requires some detailed study of the airspace structure beforehand, so you really understand where all the CTRs and CTAs (they call them all CTRs in Italy) are and where the Milan TMA is.

In summary, assuming 6500 feet in the cruise:

Genova Approach tends to be very accomodating to VFR GA. So unless they just happen to be very busy at that moment, you can expect a clearance at any altitude you wish, on your route direct to GAZ.

Next, you will need a clearance for a couple of Milan (class D) TMA segments. I have no experiences with that yet. AFAIK, you are supposed to call Milano FIS for that.

Piacenza CTR will be no factor at that altitude (it will be inactive anyway, on a weekend).

Next, you cross Verona CTR. Again, they tend to be very accomodating. However, they might not like you at 6500 over GAZ, since that is more or less where the inbounds to runway 04 at LIPX go. But terrain is flat there, so if you have to descend, then that’s not a drama.

Padova TMA is class E only at these altitudes, so radio contact with Padova FIS is sufficient.

Finally, it will be Venica CTR, but you will have to descend anyway, in order to reach Porto di Malamocco at 1000 feet.

Note this is only the Italian side of it. On the French side, don’t expect a climb clearance through Nice TMA, since that would very much interfere with Nice traffic. However, in practice, after departure from Cannes, one would usually fly the low-level sea-route anyway. Do expect to start your climb no earlier than after leaving the lateral limits of the Nice TMA, near EKSID point (yes, that’s how it’s called).

Enjoy!

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Thank you so much @Boscomantico

Alex

Thank you very much to everyone who posted. We flew Into Lido on Wednesday from Cannes with fantastic sunshine. A fabulous airport which all worked nicely, including a water taxi from the airport at a great price.

We left today for Portoroz just a 25min flight!…what a truly fantastic place this is for GA its going to take a lot to beat it! With a welcome drink on arrival (a world away from flying in the UK!)

@Boscomantico the route worked perfectly at 8500ft above broken cloud. Italian ATC could not have been more helpful truly 5* service all the way, clearances well ahead of time and we were allowed to do exactly what we wanted!!!

Thanks Again Euroga…great forum. :-)

Last Edited by Alex_ at 06 Aug 15:28
Alex
9 Posts
Sign in to add your message