Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Spain October/November 2016 (Burgos LEBG)

Here’s a suggestion – Vitoria on the weekend of 29-30 October. If possible I think the last weekend in October would be the best of the available weekends. Apart from the flight home, we’d still have the benefit of Summer (=Daylight Saving) Time. Northern Spain, so easier for northern Europeans to get to than somewhere further south

I’ve never been to Vitoria, but a quick Google came up with:-

Vitoria-Gasteiz is a multicultural city with strengths in the arts, commerce, education, healthcare, architectural conservation, aeronautics, vehicle industry, oenology and gastronomy. It is the first Spanish municipality to be awarded the title of European Green Capital and it is consistently ranked as one of the 5 best places to live in Spain. The old town holds some of the best preserved medieval streets and plazas in the region and it is one of very few cities to hold two Cathedrals. The city also holds well known festivals such as the Azkena rock festival, FesTVal, Vitoria-Gasteiz jazz festival, and the Virgen Blanca Festivities.

The airport, LEVT, appears to have what’s useful in terms of immigration, Avgas, JetA1, ILS. Only thing that’s puzzling me is the opening hours. I may have read the info incorrectly but it seems they’re open more in the night than the day. Hopefully wrong on that! I didn’t spot a requirement for handling but someone with local knowledge will let us know if it’s needed. Also, I haven’t checked out whether 29-30 October coincides with one of their festivals.

TJ
Cambridge EGSC

Just for you to know, Zaragoza requires handling and slot. If several GA airplanes ask for a slot on the same day, it’s possible that it won’t be allowed. There are only 9 parking stands for GA.

LECU - Madrid, Spain

Yes – the location sounds great but from the AIP LEVT seems to be a bizzare employment scheme

One could fly there to hit the evening slot (which will probably be in darkness). One could fly back with a 0600 UTC departure. Better not get too p1ssed the night before A Sunday departure is impossible except to an H24 airport, or in an F16, which will more than halve the turnout.

From here the sunset will be about 1700 UTC at LEVT on 29th October 2016.

Edit: LEVT is closed totally on Saturday, which narrows the options some more!

I wonder if @boscomantico knows anything about this; I believe he has visited most/all these places.

Good point about Zaragoza. They even cancelled a flight plan I filed there, from Granada, claiming I didn’t get PPR, even though the PPR was obtained by the officer at Granada right in front of me, with a phone call. Like Corfu LGKR historically, this is clearly a place where you want the PPR response signed in blood.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I’ll be in Zaragoza (helping run an event that’s part of the week of Engineering and Architecture at the university) during the 2nd week in November, so if it happens to be in Zaragoza while I’m there I’ll say hi. Unfortunately I won’t be in my aircraft, though!

It’s a place where I go to reasonably often, being a part of an organization that’s based there, and I can recommend it highly as a destination.

Andreas IOM

How about Burgos, LEBG? A very scenic city, and probably better weather than the north coast of Spain or Vitoria (Burgos is on the northern part of the highlands of Spain). The opening hours are good. Note the distinction between normal opening hours and ‘restricted use’ opening hours. Thia latter category is basically a very helpful gesture of AENA towards GA after having imposed heavy opening hour restrictions in many airports a few years ago. AFAIUI it basically means a degradation of safety services to a level lower than required for commercial public transport. Like in 1 fireperson on duty instead of 2. I’ve not been there, but heard from a friend that he liked the airport.
No mandatory handling.

AIP

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Burgos looks an interesting Autumn destination.

EGBP Kemble, United Kingdom

Google/images on Burgos… it does look very nice. A bit like Salamanca (and other Spanish cities) but with more stuff around e.g. waterfalls not too far away (a bus trip I guess).

Opening hours are OK too:

I wonder if any Spanish pilots on EuroGA would come along?

Administrator

There are very good restaurants around Burgos/San Sebastian which makes it a good choice too!

LEBG is really straightforward. Small and empty terminal, very few traffic, low fees, no handling, no PNR. Taxi to Burgos center is around 20€ and 15 minutes.
Burgos is a nice city to visit. Probably too small to justify several days, but not bad for a weekend.

On this last weekend of October, there will be several events taking place in Cuatro Vientos airbase, and a lot of Spanish pilots will be participating on those. I’m myself somehow involved with the organization of some of those events, so won’t be able to meet you in LEBG for the weekend. But perhaps on Sunday I could go to LEBG just to greet some of you at the airport before your departure.

LECU - Madrid, Spain

Burgos LEBG it will be then

The dates are

29/30 Oct
5/6 Nov
19/20 Nov

The 29/30 Oct is also a UK holiday on the 31st (Monday) which may be useful to some as it is a longer weekend.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message