Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Fly to ski

LOWI was discussed previously. You can land there but the aeroclub has a monopoly on parking so you can’t stay there.

If you are after a hotel with a jacuzzi that isn’t going to be cheap We are paying €1200/week at Madonna and we have no heating or hot water today; the boiler failed

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The only ski day trips I ever heard about is from pilots from Paris flying to courchevel and back in a day.

LFOU, France

C210_Flyer wrote:

LOWG and LJMB Would you know, from the airport how far is it to the ski mountains by rental car?

Both airports offer skiing within 1 hour by car.

C210_Flyer wrote:

1 Airport that is practical to fly to from BP LHTL (Itself an impractical airport of departure). So far LOWS and LOWK fit the bill. Speaking of bills does anyone know what the fees are at these airports?

2 Airport no farther than 1 hrs car drive to the mountain.
3 Rental car availability at the airport.

4 Mountain with lots of different terrain; Intermediate and some easy Expert slopes that are close to the arrival airport.
5 Accommodations at or near the mountain should be Classy upscale with Spa amenities that does not close at 8PM (I know Im dreaming)
6 Good restaurants near or at the hotel (What does he want everything?)
If you dont ask you will not get.

1 You can find the fees on the airport websites. LOWS, LOWG, LOWK all are in the 50-70€ range for an approach, landing fee and parking.

2 Use this website‘s ski area finder and filter accordingly (chair lifts!, slope length etc…):
https://www.bergfex.com/oesterreich/suchen/

Here is a list of ski areas close to LOWG

3 All three airports have rental cars.

4 For this LOWS will be best as it is close to the larger ski resorts. But check out some of the smaller ski areas (Maribor or Semmering), you might find something that suits you well.

5 Once you have identified an area to ski in booking will easily identify the upscale accommodation options.

6 All the better hotels feature good food.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Peter wrote:

You can land there but the aeroclub has a monopoly on parking so you can’t stay there.

Sorry, but I don’t understand what that means. Does it mean that the airport management has delegated to the aeroclub to arrange parking for light aircraft and that the club has decided not to permit visitors? Or does it mean that the airport management has decided not to permit parking for light aircraft except aeroclub aircraft?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Rogla (as well as Vogel and Krvavec) is closest from Ljubljana LJLJ or Lesce LJBL (if you’re arriving within Schengen) while Pohorje is closest to Maribor LJMB.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Airborne_Again wrote:

Sorry, but I don’t understand what that means.

I’m also curious what it means. Is it regarding hangar space at the northern part of the field? Or also no parkig on the southern apron?

always learning
LO__, Austria

You could try a search for e.g.

innsbruck AND aeroclub

It digs out the last discussion. I don’t know the exact politics.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thanks Snoopy, Emir, and of course Peter,

Alright that narrowed it down. Has anyone skied Mariborsko Pohorje? Any tips? The have Gondola so it cant be too small and 1000m vertical.
I decide to do mid week skiing so even though its close to population centers Im hoping it wont be crowded.

KHTO, LHTL

Emir, Flew into Bled in 2016. Was very impressed by the airport. The only thing for winter ops how are they for snow removal? A second issue is that it’s VFR only. The logical alternative is LJLJ. My understanding since the Germans took over organized their finances now the fees have tripled. Is that Fake news or is it real?

KHTO, LHTL

C210_Flyer wrote:

Has anyone skied Mariborsko Pohorje?

I did and it’s pretty small and low altitude although it features world cup women’s slalom race. What you need there is low temperatures and lots of natural snow to be able to ski all the way down valley. For me it’s one hour driving and I go there by car morning to afternoon combined with sauna in near by spa.

C210_Flyer wrote:

The only thing for winter ops how are they for snow removal? A second issue is that it’s VFR only. The logical alternative is LJLJ. My understanding since the Germans took over organized their finances now the fees have tripled. Is that Fake news or is it real?

I don’t know how much they actually clear the runway. I was there last week (few days after snowing) and the runways was mostly clear with few ice sheets. Fraport took over LJLJ and they increased the prices from 35€ to 50€ for what is basically technical landing (I have to land there to clear Schengen when I fly to LJBL for service – I just land, clear the border, pay and leave). So, it’s not tripled but it’s 50% increase.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia
Sign in to add your message