Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Le Touquet LFAT Tuesday 11th April 2017

Russell, same things as our flight to Rouen.

Use skydemon for flightplan and GAR (for return). You need to file the GAR at least 4 hours in advance. Take passports.
On the french side, there is theoretically a 2H PPR notice, but I never heard complaints that it wasn’t. what I did is:
send the GAR report to UK, then forward the email with edited details to the email address on textual data for LFAT

On monday I had to go VFR (don’t have the MEIR yet), and went in straight line climbing as I could (to max 5000 ft). On the return leg did a little detour via westminster bridge but you won’t be able to do that in the DA40 (you need a twin).

It’s a no fuss aiport, they even let me cycle from the plane to the terminal – get ready for it – without a yellow jacket or yellow beacon, which one could barely dream on the northern side of the channel.
If you like cycling, just get a couple of bicycles when you walk into the terminal, then when you get to the desk tell them the numbers on the lock on the seatpost and they’ll give you a key.
On the way back, get some fish soup, pay at the desk and off you go. They’ll probably ask you to report leaving the zone (the Le touquet zone you can see on skydemon).

The passport desk is just in front of the bikes. If there isn’t anyone, just don’t bother asking.

Last Edited by Noe at 19 Apr 09:21

Yes – as in the UK, just plan a route OCAS (outside controlled airspace – use the map), going past Lydd EGMD, carry on south east, and when you are close to LFAT get their ATIS and then call up their tower (118.45) and land as usual.

Because you are going to another country you need to file a flight plan. SD will do that for you.

In theory you should also email your details to LFAT customs. Airport website is found on google as usual here and the email adress is here. Aircraft reg, names and nationalities of all, passport numbers. Most people don’t bother…

Bring your passport(s) – as of recently they very occassionally get a heavy police presence.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Hi All

I’m thinking of flying there this Sunday from North Weald.

As a newbie to all this…any tips?

I guess I can file everything through SkyDemon?

Routing?

Thanks

Russell

EGSX North Weald, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

But clearly not all their staff is aware.

They are not many. 3 ladies man the counter, and 3 men take care of the ramp and refueling.
http://www.aeroport-letouquet.com/infos-aero/

It is a little frustrating that it is so hard to obtain the rates on-line. I spent some time on the internet trying to find the rates cards of various French airports and found very few.

LFPT, LFPN
they have enough business

That is not very relevant, as they are not running a business (as in “a commercial operation”). They are providing a public service, and have a duty towards their higher powers to charge “reasonable” rates. I for one cannot blame them for finding money where it is to be found, and 30 € for a long hard runway with ILS is still a bargain as compared to the UK average.

That said, I wonder what they’ll charge me if ever I get there. Not-French but intra-Schengen, so international rate or domestic? And perhaps I get a rebate for my very low-noise Rotax? But I’m not holding my breath… and nearby LFAC Calais charged 4,30 last time I flew there…

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

I cannot believe this in any way, they are not penny pinchers and they have enough business not to have to descend to that level ….so far this year they have given me (for various reasons) 3 free landings, all unexpected, LFAT (as everyone knows) remains one of the few ‘no hassle’ and reasonably priced destinations left, perhaps thats why they are so popular, especially with the Brits.

I agree; I have never seen evidence of any such policy.

But we are seeing reports such as the one above, which could be just somebody getting the figure wrong.

I just called them, but did not get a definitive answer although the person I talked to did confirm there were different rates depending on domestic or international. That matches my recollection of having paid higher rates when flying to the UK from L2K.

OK; that explains it. But clearly not all their staff is aware.

LFAT is among the smoothest airports anywhere, and the surroundings are super; the nice walk into town, the town itself, the beach, etc.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

There have been many allegations of them charging €10 extra to Brits, to non Schengen, etc. But they are never supported when one phones them…

I just called them, but did not get a definitive answer although the person I talked to (I think it was the ramp agent) did confirm there were different rates depending on domestic or international. That matches my recollection of having paid higher rates when flying to the UK from L2K. I need to call back tomorrow and talk to the secretary.

That said I am not sure whether the international rate concerns just extra-Schengen flights. They have no rate information on their website.

They do the same at Caen and Deauville. The rate depends on your destination and/or origin.

If Noe was charged the domestic rate, I am pretty sure it was by mistake.

Last Edited by Aviathor at 18 Apr 18:11
LFPT, LFPN

Peter wrote:

There have been many allegations of them charging €10 extra to Brits

I cannot believe this in any way, they are not penny pinchers and they have enough business not to have to descend to that level ….so far this year they have given me (for various reasons) 3 free landings, all unexpected, LFAT (as everyone knows) remains one of the few ‘no hassle’ and reasonably priced destinations left, perhaps thats why they are so popular, especially with the Brits.

I think I was one of the ones who claimed they got a cheaper fee for arriving Schengen (I got a cheaper rate when flying from france than from UK). I didn’t ask too many questions this time, they just said it was an “all included pack” with landing and parking.

Last Edited by Noe at 18 Apr 15:04

They probably read EuroGA so they expected the phone call

There have been many allegations of them charging €10 extra to Brits, to non Schengen, etc. But they are never supported when one phones them…

Administrator
20 Posts
Sign in to add your message