Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Some pics from yesterday (Frankfurt area)

Yesterday was a glorious day in the southern half of Germany. My flight was a short IFR training flight, combined with some fun VFR bimbling in the beautiful areas to the west of Frankfurt (Rheinland-Pfalz). Some good pics, thanks to very good visibility, so I thought I’d share. The aircraft was my usual IFR training ride, N26292, a 1978 AA5A.

Enroute from Egelsbach (EDFE) to Hahn (EDFH), reaching “on top”, passing 5000 feet.

Climbing through FL53.

Cruising along the river Rhein at FL60.

Here’s the RNP 21 plate for EDFH.

On vectors to final. The FAF is RALUV. The screen of the KLN94 is tiny; still, occasionally, I switch to the map view to if the flightplan is looking correct.

After completion of the approach, I cancelled IFR and proceded VFR to a very nearby small GA airfield, Neumagen-Dhrohn (EDRD), which is located beautifully on top of the Mosel river valley. Here we are passing Bernkastel-Kues.

On final runway 27 at Neumagen.

I landed, had a friendly chat with local pilots and then headed on for another very short hop (10 minutes) to Idar-Oberstein (EDRG), famous for their steaks.

Another view of the beautiful landscape out there.

Wind turbines are in abundance in Rheinland-Pfalz. One could say they have somewhat ruined the landscape here and there.

Parked up at Idar-Oberstein.

At the restaurant, there is a guy doing the same thing every day: sitting on a chair beside the fire and taking care of the steaks. Unique.

On the (VFR) return flight to Egelsbach, I passed Bad Sobernheim (EDRS) airfield, which is unique too, in that it features a 30 degree dogleg at its halfway point.

River Nahe, near Bad Kreuznach.

Passing the endless vineyards of Rheinhessen, southwest of Mainz.

More wind turbines.

When passing the Frankfurt CTR to the south, you often get those fully ladden heavies (A340s in particular) taking off on 18 and struggling their way up. Not a lot of vertical clearance.

There he is in his full glory.

Turning final 26 at Egelsbach.

Here you can see the pretty saturated parking areas. The Jeppesen anniversary fly-in / party was on at Egelsbach and loads of people flew in (no landing fee, free food and drink…).

The event took place in that open hangar behind this Turbo Arrow.

Even at 8 o’ clock in the evening, there were still many visiting aircraft on the ramp.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 25 Jun 19:36
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Thanks Bosco for sharing your region !
We should all do the same, “come with me so that I show you where I live and surroundings” ;-)

Unbelievable coincidence. On your photo parked at Idar-Oberstein one can clearly see an Aquila A210 D-EDDO parked in the background! That’s the aircraft I started PPL training on. Our club sold it last year to replace it with a brand new A211. Great to see it, I have fond memories

Overall great photos, thanks for sharing.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

Thanks for sharing the beautiful photos, bosco. In Düsseldorf – only a flighthour to the north – the weather was crap yesterday.

EDLE

Thanks for yet another great report Boscomantico, always enjoy them.

Private field, Mallorca, Spain
5 Posts
Sign in to add your message