Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Blackpool Council buys EGNH/Blackpool Airport

And apparently it’s good news for us, Blackpool Council want to preserve the airport as an aviation facility, and according to the TV news at lunchtime, they want to preserve it as a GA facility not an airline facility.

> Blackpool South MP Gordon Marsden said: “The council is making a very important and strategic decision which should be welcomed. “I have long felt that we need to secure the future of the airport as an aviation centre and that cannot be achieved if it passes into the hands of people who would simply be focused on housing or retail development.”

> Today council leader Simon Blackburn warned that holiday flights were not a priority. He said: “We do not envisage the return of large scale passenger planes to the airport."

http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/news/transport/blackpool-council-swoops-to-protect-airport-in-4-25m-buy-out-1-8750587

Last Edited by alioth at 13 Sep 16:19
Andreas IOM

Brilliant…some positive news for Blackpool.

Last Edited by Alex_ at 13 Sep 16:31
Alex
Shoreham (EGKA) White Waltham (EGLM), United Kingdom

I wish Coventry would go the way. Same current owner I believe.

EGBE (COVENTRY, UK)

Well lets hope this is good news.

I wonder if anyone will relaunch the isle of man route? SET in a Cessna Caravan?

It’s a good destination in a useful location. We did a night-stop there in May. All very friendly and easy. Landing fee for a 1090 kg AA5B was about £16 (so not a lot given the facilities). We stayed at One South Beach hotel, very good except for the Wi-Fi which was only workable around reception and wanted far too many personal details but it happily accepted a completely fake set of details. Taxi to and from the airport was c.£3.50 (01 253 401 000). We ate at the Montague restaurant, very good. Oh and there is an excellent cat resident in the light GA reception and briefing area. On the way back from that trip (which went all the way to Stornoway) we stopped at Blackpool again for refuelling and a quick lunch at the pub by the Premier Inn just behind the GA office. Not our usual choice of eatery but the bean-burger was rather good and they had the decency not to charge for soda water (which hotels on Stornoway do).

strip near EGGW
5 Posts
Sign in to add your message