Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

PIREP: LFPM Melun

Was looking for an IFR airport for a weekend destination east of Paris and settled on Melun. Flew up there from my home base Annecy, nice RNAV approach into RNW 28 and once on the ground the troubles began. The tower is on the complete opposite side of the GA apron and had no ideas for where I should park. I found a spot next to a solitary 172 and they told me fine and have a nice day.

From there it was impossible to figure out how to get out of the airfield. Found some mechanic in a hangar who shrugged and said walk that way. Easily a 10min walk passing old abandoned hangars until you get to a green gate for which of course you don’t have the reentry code. Walked into a random office to ask about landing fees and they were clueless but at least gave me the gate code.

Positives : you can get an uber and there’s a Total 24h station for avgas, if you don’t have the card and need fuel I seriously wouldn’t risk it. And for the time being it’s free I guess…what a strange airport.

LFLP

In fact LFPM is unusual. It was mainly an ENAC base for years and was restricted to based aircraft. Hence the ILS, RNAV, Total card pump and the TWR. For decades, it was restricted use and so nobody knew what happened there.
Few years ago, the airport management decided to open the field and make it an IFR business airport for Paris (after LFPB, LFPN and LFPT). Traffic levels barely increased since.
So now they focus on attracting companies, especially in the aerospace industry because 1 it’s the only one growing today in France :) and 2 a big aircraft engine design center and factory is next to the field. So they want their subcontractors to settle there.
On the GA side, a FBO like company is available : check www.elyxan-aviation.fr
I never heard of them but would be glad to know how efficient they are.
To make it short, it’s a well equipped field but with no transient GA. They are far from Paris and need something special to take traffic, like customs.

LFOU, France
2 Posts
Sign in to add your message