Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Shoreham EGKA to Avignon LFMV Nov 2017

This is just a short report on the EuroGA “ad-hoc” fly-in.

Very nice wx on the outbound trip

On top at FL100. Temperature was +2C which was unseasonally warm

Landing FOB forecast at 50USG (actual turned out to be 49.3)

A lot of fog in parts of France

I have overflown this one many times… seems to be an active military one

Approaching the Massif Central. A lot of haze around. I was at FL130 most of the way

Flying mostly above the haze, Mt Blanc was just visible from about 150nm away – this is a tweaked image, due to heavy haze

On the ILS runway 17. The black rag on the left is to cover the shiny top so I can get sort-of decent pics through the front window

The runway, just before breaking to the right for the VPT to runway 35

Downwind

Base

Video of the approach

Landed and waiting for fuel

This ancient Mooney contains the world’s supply of car body filler in the wing leading edges, and they didn’t even bother painting it over

A really busy passenger terminal

The Palace is OK. IMHO the grounds are more interesting than the inside

A bit like in Salamanca, you can go on the roof for the great views

The square outside the Palace

That place looked interesting but there wasn’t time to do it

The “broken bridge”

Food was good, with salads somewhat hard to find but OK

A Lebanese restaurant

More walkabouts

The main meet-up lunch

Dinner after the others mostly departed. The restaurant was excellent: La Brasserie du Theatre. The bread actually contained the soup

Departing, I had a whole load of fun with French police.

Return wx had a lot more IMC than the MSLP, radar or anything else suggested (all were clean) but the IR showed it correctly, as always.

I managed to mostly avoid it, at FL120 all the way back

Few shortcuts, with “military activity” everywhere… French air force must be bigger than America’s.

The UK south coast was all fogged in, so I was getting mentally prepared for a wild night at Lydd, or Biggin and a taxi back home, and a load of hassle either way, but the fog started to lift about 1hr before ETA so I slowed right down and it cleared just as I arrived.

EGKA 020950Z 35007KT 0150 FG VV/// 06/06 Q1015
TAF EGKA 020956Z 0209/0218 32006KT 0200 FG VV/// BECMG 0210/0213 9999 NSW BKN030 TEMPO 0210/0215 BKN014

EGKA 021150Z 36008KT 0400 FG BKN002 09/08 Q1016
TAF EGKA 021102Z 0212/0220 32006KT 0200 FG VV/// BECMG 0212/0215 9999 NSW BKN030 TEMPO 0217/0220 9000 BKN014

3G/4G mostly didn’t work on the two flights but it worked for just long enough to get weather here and there.

We all know TAFs forecasting fog to clear are usually way optimistic, but this time it worked out ok

Getting back home is always wonderful, after every trip. Landed with 42.4 USG.

Airborne times 3:15 and 4:00hrs.

Actual tracks:

It was great to see you all

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Looks nice :)

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Avignon is definitely very scenic place.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Peter,

great report! I used to love Avignon as a destination, great city, good food and lovely place to start a trip around the Camargue. After your report concerning the behaviour of customs there, unfortunately another one off my list.

The Mooney you showed in one pic is a F model, it had a gear collapse at Avignon in 2015. I wonder if it is still there simply or if it has been repaired and is simply based there. It is also interesting that it appears to have a seal of sorts over it’s door.

https://www.bea.aero/les-enquetes/les-evenements-notifies/detail/event/accident-du-mooney-20f-immatricule-f-bolv-survenu-le-02082015-a-avignon-caumont-84/

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 05 Nov 09:18
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Funny, I was there a few weeks back, with the same type of aircraft, with the same livery, parked at the exact same spot. ;)

Little video of the trip.

LFBZ, France

@jeff64
Now we know whom they were really after!

Tököl LHTL

WhiskeyPapa wrote:

@jeff64
Now we know whom they were really after!

I’m discovered
LFBZ, France

@jeff64: good to see you upgraded to the TB20! F-ZS is, to my knowledge, the best equipped TB20 for rent on the french register… Btw, I should be around Pau by christmas, would be fun to fly it together (if they still allow an occasional flyer to rent it, last year they did)

Last Edited by Alboule at 05 Nov 12:09
LFNR

Alboule wrote:

@jeff64: good to see you upgraded to the TB20! F-ZS is, to my knowledge, the best equipped TB20 for rent on the french register… Btw, I should be around Pau by christmas, would be fun to fly it together (if they still allow an occasional flyer to rent it, last year they did)

Yes, a very well equipped aircraft indeed.
if I am around when you are here, it would be a pleasure to fly together. Keep me in touch..

LFBZ, France
9 Posts
Sign in to add your message