Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Airports that require special qualifications

… but they don’t require pilot training for a VFR approach (which is what your post implied), so nothing to fear on a “ramp-check”.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Cannes LFMK has an online training for IFR only IIRC. And that’s a very simple (and reasonable) briefing that basicall only tells you to stay clear of the city center and make as little noise as possible.

LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

I sent a couple of questions to the operations at Engadin Ariport/Samedan/LSZS and got some good answers:

1. I am a certified flight instructor with EASA license, is it correct that I qualify by being that and passing the online test? I do not need to fly with a local instructor?
    It is correct as FI you don’t have to do the introduction flight, but you have to do the online test.
  2. I plan to fly from Engadin Airport into Germany, can I clear customs before departure from you?
    Yes
  3. I have read the briefing package thoroughly and understand that it is VFR operations for landing. But can I file an IFR flight plan for departure?
    You have to file Z-FLP, its VFR as well.
  4. Do you have any published departure minima for weather?
    Approach Cat A: 1.5 km visibility; Cloud Base: 500 ft GND; Approach Cat. B: 5.0 km visibility; Cloud Base 2200 ft GND
Last Edited by Fly310 at 25 Aug 05:06
ESSZ, Sweden

Fly310 wrote:

Approach Cat A: 1.5 km visibility; Cloud Base: 500 ft GND; Approach Cat. B: 5.0 km visibility; Cloud Base 2200 ft GND

Pretty generous, I’d say, considering the surroundings.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

bq. But can I file an IFR flight plan for departure?
bq.You have to file Z-FLP, its VFR as well.

That is true but ou will get the IFR clearance on the ground and a very seemless handover to Zurich on the straight climbout in the valley. It nearly feels like IFR.

bq. Approach Cat A: 1.5 km visibility; Cloud Base: 500 ft GND; Approach Cat. B: 5.0 km visibility; Cloud Base 2200 ft GND
bq. Pretty generous, I’d say, considering the surroundings.

Watch out on the departure corridor. The big jets will take off regardless of the weather as long as nobody forbids them to do so and climb out in IMC.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Thanks for the info Sebastian!

ESSZ, Sweden

boscomantico wrote:

… but they don’t require pilot training for a VFR approach (which is what your post implied), so nothing to fear on a “ramp-check”.

I was there (Lugano LSZA) in July and didn’t get checked. Flew VFR but asked to do the procedure which they let me do. I wanted to do it because I wasn’t familiar with the area, but mostly because I wanted to see what a 6.6 degrees ILS would look like, and it was fun! On the DA40, no flaps, you can’t do it at best glide, as you’ll stay above the glidepath. Also better have studied the plate before, as the PAPIs are not aligned with the glidepath (and not valid before a certain distance to threshold!)

Combining a tricky go-around with a very unusual approach increases risk a lot, and I can see how they want people to have it done once before and see what it’s like.
I can see how on a plane like the DA40 that glides fairly well (and where it’s hard to lose speed / has a low flap limiting speed), one could easily get in a very unstable approach the first time around. I was VFR so it was quite easy, but it wasn’t my best approach ever, and had to work much more than on a normal approach to keep all the numbers as I wanted.

Thanks Fly310 for posting their reply. So it is still as they told me a little time ago. FIs don’t need the familiarsation flight, despite the airport’s documentation implying so. Welcome to the world of LSZS…

Last Edited by boscomantico at 25 Aug 12:24
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I will get back to you with some feedback after the flight. The intended route is: ESSA – EDTY – LSZC – LSZS – EDQC – ESSA.

ESSZ, Sweden

@fly310 : thanks for setting things straight. Looking forward to read about your experiences in LSZS.

LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria
Sign in to add your message