Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Aviation related things to see in the Paris area

Folks,

I’d like to pick your brains on this one. I am organizing a trip each year with some 30-50 people to aviation related sites in different cities, mainly in October. Last year we were in Munich. This year it’s supposed to be Paris.

Now what I am aware of in the Paris area is the Air and Space Museum at Le Bourget and the Fondation Jean Salis..

The trip will be from Switzerland passing Basle and from there to Paris and back, so also things in between there would be of interest.

The idea is to drive out there on Friday and back on Sunday. That leaves Friday afternoon, Saturday all day and Sunday to after Lunch time approximately.

Also for the evening, we could do something aviation related within the city, if that is possible. Otherwise I’d probably do the “usual” Paris things with them, take them to a show or sth like that.

I know that some of you are based around there, so I hope you got some great ideas on what to visit and maybe meet up with some of you in the process

So I am very interested to read what you think.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Le Bourget is great. A really superb day out if you like aviation things. Musee des arts et metiers has a few aviation-related exhibits and is generally interesting if you’re technically minded.

The museum is worth doing, though IMHO not spectacular unless you are into vintage aircraft. A number of us did it here. If possible, make sure you use Uber in Paris and not the normal taxis

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

If you take the A36 and A6 highways, you should exit in Beaune and visit the castle in Savigny-lès-Beaune. Plan 3-4h max, so an afternoon. The planes are a little decrepit, but a Mirage IV always makes an impression. They also have cars and bikes. In the worst case there’s good wine.

Last Edited by Arne at 15 Jan 17:23
ESMK, Sweden

A big part of Le Bourget Museum has just been renovated and is very much worth a visit. It usés to be a shame but now it’s very nice.

Definitely check out La Ferté Alais, it’s a mythic place that keeps a refreshing spirit of aviators (the exact opposite of hi-vis jackets if you see what I mean).

Other places have treasures but most are private so you need a kind of a local contact (that I don’t have I’m afraid). I will keep looking for visits. I would be happy to see you guys when you come.

Beaune is full of rare stuff, mainly jets from the 50s-60s, but coming from Switzerland, you will feel in another continent. I’m sure the AZ scrapyards look much better.

LFOU, France
5 Posts
Sign in to add your message