Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Ouessant (aka Ushant) LFEC

AFIS must match the hours of the airline from Brest LFBR. Check out Finist’air, the local airline. Strangely, they are closed from mid-July to mid-August

I didn’t walk but took the taxi to the field, sorry for my misleading estimate

The Hotel du Fromveur is certainly not the best in the world, but it clearly puts you in the local atmosphere

LFOU, France

Jujupilote wrote:

The Hotel du Fromveur is certainly not the best in the world, but it clearly puts you in the local atmosphere

I love that description, actually thats my type of hotel, reminds me of our stay in ‘le Grand Hotel de Cherbourg’, we havnt stopped talking about it for the past 20 years

Back to Ouessant …… good destination and friendly (which is important for an airfield).

That looks exactly like the Scilly Isles

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

That looks exactly like the Scilly Isles

It is the French Scilly isle !!
Here it is in a more typical weather :

The Ty Korn restaurant on Main Street Ouessant (you even have the taxi phone number on the picture)

The hardest part of this awesome weekend : thnking you have to get back to Paris to work the next day.

Last Edited by Jujupilote at 22 Jul 20:14
LFOU, France

Another approach picture. Now you can prepare your self for both landing directions.

EDDS , Germany

Ouessant LFEC is a great place to visit, I have been there quite often both vfr and Ifr. There is very little traffic and usually I have been the only one there so have spent some time having coffee with the AFIS man.He speaks very little English but he is very easy going. There is a Brit with his own aircraft on the Island but I do not know how he gets on with the language. Brest approach or information will stay with you until you are well in sight of the runway, speaking in English, however whilst it is necessary for ATC controllers and SIV (FIS) persons to have an ELP, the same is not true of AFIS, hence the French only. The Cessna Grand Caravan operated by Finistair usually speaks French at Brest and Ouessant, whenever I have heard him.
I will be a Brest airport on Tuesday and will probably take a trip over to Ouessant sometime during the week so I will ask their opinion on how non French speakers go about flying into the airfield.

France

Ouessant has been on my list for a long time. I am told there are only 4 parking stands and it is first-come first-served. I cannot book a hotel on the island and arrive to find out that there is no parking available.

I see that nobody mentions anything about parking issues. But we are in the midst of the French (and European at large) vacation period, so this is a little surprising.

Actually even the AFIS is on vacation right now.

E3119/18 NOTAM
Q) LFRR/SFAU/IV/B / A /000/999/4827N00503E
A) LFEC
B) 2018-07-13 22:00 C) 2018-08-14 05:15
E) AFIS NOT PROVIDED.

LFPT, LFPN

Well, I guess the reason is that at these small aerodromes, there is no “overnight” of the parking / ramp arrangements by anybody, not even by the AFISO. Hence, it is possible to use the available space much more efficiently (and maybe even park in the adjacent grass).

The problem really only exists at the larger airports, where people’s brains appear to stop working once yellow lines have been painted on the ground and some jobsworth likes to assign “stands”… (Biarritz).

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

For parking there are ‘tie-down cables’ set in to the tarmac, which is convenient because the local wind can be quite strong.

Rochester, UK, United Kingdom

Here is a pic of the parking area

Sign in to add your message