Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Turboprops below 2000kg

Being below 2000kg is a massive cost advantage, especially for an owner who maintains on Part 91.

With large >2000kg planes like the TBM you get totally shafted everywhere you go, with jacked-up landing fees, jacked-up parking fees, and hangarage almost unavailable at most places where a ~12-14m wingspan SE could be hangared, etc. So while you can buy a TBM700 for an ever decreasing price, the running cost is high.

Currently, the sub-2T market exists only in the form of the Jetprop, whose life is limited since AIUI Piper have shafted the Jetprop conversion by blocking the Jetprop STC on G1000 equipped PA46 aircraft.

The only other real option I know of – the Lancair Evolution TP – is an uncertified kit plane which despite being really well finished will probably never get certified, so is practically useless in Europe.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The Cirrus SF50 hopefully will be a game changer – especially if the EU allows PT IFR for single engine turbine.

Isn’t Diamond also studying a SET?

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

I don’t see how the Cirrus SF50 would play in that game. Especially in Europe it would be virtually useless due to the small distances and unavailable flight levels. Endurance will not be good and cost will be huge.

Peter, you forget one important aspect about the sub 2 tons SETs: their range is very limited, no comparison to the touring piston aircraft. Going from e.g. a TB20 to a JetProp or even more so Meridian, you would be seriously range limited.

achimha you are right, and the SF50 also it weighs in at 2.7 tons so was off subject in any event!

The Soloy 206H also appears quite range/payload limited.

There was a Marchetti 260.TP prototype, which I also suspect had complex fuel management like its piston production model.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

I have an opportunity to acquire a sub-2t turboprop for a song, but it will take hundreds of hours to restore it to an airworthy condition. It’s a Zlin Z-37T – a Czech ag plane easily amenable to passenger conversion. With its useful load of 800+ kg, one can easily put in an extra fuel tank to get a very decent range.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

The Soloy 206H also appears quite range/payload limited.

I think that is an excellent seaplane but not much else. It is unpressurized, it is very slow and it stinks like a fuel tank from inside…

Cessna Silver Eagle & Silver Eagle II ?

Last Edited by vmc-on-top at 23 Apr 09:43

Cessna Silver Eagle?

Yes, that is a quite capable aircraft. I did not pursue it further because I could not accept to spend 500-700k€ and get a 1970s airframe with all the squawks, an aircraft where I have to wear a fur hat and blanket because the heater is not adequate and tolerate a constant fuel stink. In addition the pressurization is very limited. It is the cheapest certified turbine out there and it is very capable but for me the lack of comfort combined with the amount of money required ruled it out.

The “personal airliner” category really starts with the JetProp in my view.

Zero fuel range of a Jetprop ?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Zero fuel range of a Jetprop ?

Zero miles ;)

EGBB
48 Posts
Sign in to add your message