Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Twin piston loss of control, no injuries, N414FZ

Cobalt wrote:

Student to Instructor: “Do you want the BS departure briefing, or the real one”
Instructor to Student: “The real one”.
Student: “[XXX departure, xxx], any failure before lift off – stop; engine failure after lift-off below 400ft – I’ll never clear that ridge so will reduce power and pick one of these nice fields and land there, if higher – failure drills and circuit back to land”
Instructor to Student: “Finally something sensible. Just remember that in the test, you are expected to brief to fly the circuit, or die trying, like a real man.”

Yep. Wish there was a +1 on this site….

EGTK Oxford

Cobalt wrote:

you are expected to brief to fly the circuit, or die trying, like a real man

Nice summary,

Not yet in MEP, but reminds me of being tested on glider cable break at Lasham, with a free flat 2km runway landing ahead seemed as sensible and hassle free option even from 3000ft, still I failed to demonstrate that I can fly a circuit after a high cable break

Last Edited by Ibra at 10 May 23:09
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

RobertL18C wrote:

aaib report

So an STC was applied which increased engine horsepower by 25 hp but in such a way that the improvement would go away over time unless the engine was overhauled!

What could that be?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Well, rote briefings are rubbish, and defeat the purpose – really thinking about what you would do so you don’t have to make it up when it happens. And that will hugely depend on circumstances such as wind, weather and weight. With a good headwind in the winger and alone in a six-seater wih half fuel, no problem, if it goes bang early the climb gradient will be quite good. Quite different on a calm summer day at MTOW calculated using the weight you and your passengers can dimly remember having had several decades ago…

It also depends on the terrain you face.

Biggin Hill
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message