Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Two different AI presentations - sky pointer or ground pointer

RWY20: can you see corrupted legends in that PDF?

Wigglyamp: what I was getting at is whether people know that you could get into one G500 plane and find the “AI” works one way and then get into another G500 plane and find it has been configured to work the other way.

Jason: I think that is the Sandel… a couple of crappy videos:

Here after 0:50

and here on the bench (after 1:30)

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@JasonC it looks like the Sandel comes under your “weird” heading

No wonder it is confusing…

Administrator

Peter wrote:

@JasonC it looks like the Sandel comes under your “weird” heading

Don’t take it personally. I just find that odd. Doesn’t make any real difference when the horizon line is in view but I certainly prefer the roll pointer rolling in the same direction as the plane.

EGTK Oxford

I didn’t – I just wonder why Sandel chose it.

Maybe the symbology is something from their military business. They ship a lot of their kit to the military, and into upmarket helicopters.

I think the key to flying with this presentation is to use the horizon line for roll control and not the pointer.

Administrator

No, this is the “airline” style. Larger mechanical AIs have this style, for example here is an image of a B747 classic AI.

The (US?) military style has the pointer at the bottom. Here is one of an F16 for sale on e-bay with a slight bank:

My guess is that EFIS display standards were first developed for airliners, and hence mimic that style.

I have no idea why the “GA” representation is different from the “airline” representation – perhaps it is easier to do im small instruments?

Biggin Hill

I guess it is just what you are used to.

EGTK Oxford

The paper indicated otherwise. Most (all?) pilots were airline pilots, and still most mistakes happened with he airline style display.

Biggin Hill

RWY20: can you see corrupted legends in that PDF?

Yes I do. I thought it might just be on my phone from which I am posting. But seems to be a problem with the file.

I have no idea what anyone of you are talking about. If the Sandel and the mechanical AI are not showing a horizon in a right turn that’s up on the right, down on the left, they’re setup is wrong. It’s like I’m in some parallel universe where you’re speaking klingon. What are you talking about? They both do the same thing.

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 06 Dec 12:32

Adam, if you read the thread it is about roll pointer vs sky pointer. Nothing to do with the horizon line.

EGTK Oxford
Sign in to add your message