Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

UK Class A and squawking 7000

The other day, IFR, coming back from S. France, in the descent from FL100, over the Channel, London Control instructed “squawk conspicuity”, so I set 7000 while still well up in Class A.

I suppose I should have set 2000 which is the IFR version of 7000…

Nothing was said but I made a cheeky comment to LC that it was funny to be in Class A and squawking 7000 He said he was happy with that. But this must have triggered the CAIT “infringement detection, bust them all” software.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

London Control instructed “squawk conspicuity”….
….I suppose I should have set 2000 which is the IFR version of 7000…

Well, yes… The reason that UK ATC now say “conspicuity” is exactly so you indicate you are VFR or IFR… and so should have used 2000.

Nothing was said but I made a cheeky comment to LC that it was funny to be in Class A and squawking 7000 He said he was happy with that. But this must have triggered the CAIT “infringement detection, bust them all” software.

It does not if you are already inside, I did try 7000 while swapping squawks, so left 7000 in the middle for a while (+2min) apparently it was my fat fingers rather than personal curiosity it seems CAIT/MOR jackpot only kicks in if you go outside then inside again on 7000 !

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

How do you pronounce “conspicuity”?

No seriously, I just passed the IR theory exam but I’d have no idea in that moment what I am supposed to do. Never heard “squawk conspicuity” before in my flying lifetime…..

Already looking forward to my first trip to the Island. To see all this in real life. :-)

Germany

UdoR wrote:

I don’t! :)
I usually reply with “squawk 7000” or “squawk 2000” – it is easier, plus it re-iterates the point on rules I’m using.

EGTR

The problem with setting 2000 is that if you fly VFR in Class E without a clearance (which is certain unless you know about the relevant unit) you will get busted. See e.g. here.

On the topic, it is actually far more common to retain the LC squawk all the way to the runway, VFR or IFR.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

UdoR wrote:

Never heard “squawk conspicuity” before in my flying lifetime…..

The UK likes to be quirky.
It’s a mouthful even for native speaker.

Nympsfield, United Kingdom

Comm-Security on readability 3 should do it

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

https://youtu.be/PF_-CNYeHac

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Peter wrote:

if you fly VFR in Class E without a clearance (which is certain unless you know about the relevant unit) you will get busted

Wait what? Surely you mean IFR not VFR, right? Otherwise either your sentence doesn’t make sense (“squawk 2000”) or class E may as well be class D.

EHRD, Netherlands
24 Posts
Sign in to add your message