Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

UK Class A and squawking 7000

Winston wrote:

I set 2000 and I am indeed building hours for CBIR. Farnborough controllers notice it for sure, asking to confirm flight rules as it makes it easier for everyone if you can be VFR while in their airspace.

Because they don’t need to separate VFR from other VFR but give you that chocolate fireguard, otherwise known as a basic service – or am I just being cynical that, now they have this chunk of airspace to control, they don’t wish to offer users of airspace the prescribed services they agreed to???

EDL*, Germany

Peter wrote:

Yes; there is anecdotal evidence that if you ask for an “IFR” transit you are more likely to get it, because of a general belief that somebody knowing what I-F-R is must be a better pilot and is less likely to do something stupid in CAS

Yep! “I Fly Roads” :)

On more serious note – I think last I heard that the reason is that in VFR they are not allowed to give you vectors, they could only give you VRPs. While in IFR they can send you as they please, maintaining separation with other traffic etc.

EGTR

I set 2000 and I am indeed building hours for CBIR. 

I don’t see the link? as flying with the hood in VMC using 7000 under VFR counts for IMC hours & CBIR hours in UK under BSRFI time?

Last Edited by Ibra at 07 Oct 17:39
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Yes; there is anecdotal evidence that if you ask for an “IFR” transit you are more likely to get it, because of a general belief that somebody knowing what I-F-R is must be a better pilot and is less likely to do something stupid in CAS

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Winston wrote:

I set 2000 and I am indeed building hours for CBIR. Farnborough controllers notice it for sure, asking to confirm flight rules as it makes it easier for everyone if you can be VFR while in their airspace.

Hm, interesting… I’ve noticed that it gets easier with the like of EGMC to get transit IFR – they push you higher (3000’ instead of 2000’) and then you just follow your IFR route.

EGTR

Denham, Elstree, United Kingdom

OK, I geddit. But I think your problem/bust scenario is down to London controllers “dropping” you out of their airspace without the relevant handover, no? Something that has been discussed before on here.

I would tend to agree regarding “creating maximum evidence of IFR” but if some FTO decides to give you a hard time over your logbook entries (which, let’s be honest, is in their interest to not like) you will never be able to obtain ATC radar data to prove you had 2000 set.

And FR24/FA logs some flights and not others… one would probably want to make sure one’s flights do get logged by these agencies, but I have no idea how to achieve that. It is the opposite of demanding one’s flights are not logged, which is possible with some of these logging sites. My flights all get logged, while others don’t.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

(I strongly suspect almost nobody in the UK ever sets 2000; it does nothing for you)

Peter, I suspect any pilot building hours for the CB-IR will have to either set a discrete code for a specific radar service or 2000. Otherwise it is very easy to invalidate the hours (and reject the application) by just checking a flight or two if the amount logged as IMC is flown under the correct code.

EGTR

My point is simply that

• Class E is controlled airspace for IFR and you should not be in it squawking 2000 (“I am IFR”) unless you have a clearance, and
  • in the relevant scenario (the bit of Class E near Farnborough, near the LTMA) you can easily venture into it on a “normal UK-style VFR” flight

If you do this on 7000, all is fine, but if you happen to do it with 2000 set then are “busting CAS”.

But it may be just a concern. I have just received a load more MORs from a “contact” and I searched a dozen of the recent PDF bundles for “class e” and found nothing relevant to busting Class E, so

• this is not happening (I strongly suspect almost nobody in the UK ever sets 2000; it does nothing for you)
  • Farnborough is not noticing busts of their E
  • Farnborough is noticing but not MORing them (which would be risky on ATC!)
  • the CAA man in charge is not busting pilots for it (IMHO very unlikely; they like to take no prisoners)
Administrator
24 Posts
Sign in to add your message