Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

UK: IFR Approaches in airspace G without tower

Thanks for the clarification. I actually realised it while reviewing the approach plate and watching the clip. But let’s say at Shoreham, there is a tower and not AFIS? How is the phraseology and the procedure different there (since it still is class G)?

AeroPlus wrote:

I think the “controller” is not clearing aircraft for landing

No, he’s reporting “runway free”. That’s standard phraseology for an AFIS, in Scandinavia at least.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

ArcticChiller wrote:

But let’s say at Shoreham, there is a tower and not AFIS? How is the phraseology and the procedure different there (since it still is class G)?

I would expect both to be the same as if the airport had a control zone, but I’m sure @Peter can give a proper answer.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

In Scotland for example there is Dundee with IAPs and ATC but no radar in class G….there is also Inverness with IAPs, ATC and radar, also in class G….both have ATZs….2000’ AGL X 4nm dia….. as pointed out these ATZs allow ATC to give clearances in airspace that is otherwise uncontrolled….as a result I don’t treat ATC at Dundee or Inverness any differently than Aberdeen which is class D….

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

ArcticChiller wrote:

Obviously there are lots of airports in class G airspace with instrument procedures. However, I found that most have an ATZ around the field and on the approach plate is a tower frequency (examples are Biggin Hill, Shoreham, Lydd, etc.). I am wondering if there are any official IFR approaches to airfields with an ATZ but without a tower. And if there are none: A tower in an ATZ does not clear IFR aircraft into CAS (afaik). Is the tower there only for spacing on the runway/within the circuit? Does the tower have any responsibility to seperate IFR flights (but planes wouldn’t have to use the service since in class G there is no official seperation of IFR/IFR)?

Very good questions. The UK is, erm, “special”.

Historically there has always been a requirement (currently Art 172 of the ANO) for an approach control service at any airport with an IAP. Approach control (c/s “approach”) is never provided without an aerodrome control service (c/s “tower”), as the concept of a remote approach control is almost unknown (though Biggin Hill is particularly “special” in having, in effect, two approach controls :)). But it is approach control, not tower, that would have the responsibility of separating participating IFR flights using IFR clearances (even though the aircraft are in class G).

The UK CAA’s CAP 1122 [ local copy ] set out to alleviate some of these requirements which were preventing the deployment of GPS approaches. Progress is at a glacial pace.

Interesting that you’re based at Grenchen, Florian. There’s a lot of work there to introduce Skyguide and FOCA to the concept of IFR in class G.

In practical terms, how does separation during an IFR approach (even circling) work in IMC outside of CAS, so e.g. in G? I imagine one reaches the IAF and starts the approach (cleared by a remote radar controller or not, depending on the airport). However when in IMC one doesn’t know if there is traffic in front or behind which is slower/faster, so if one flies the approach perfectly, isn’t it possible to run into each other before reaching circling altitude / enough visibility?

Last Edited by Vladimir at 07 Jan 17:11
LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

In practical terms, how does separation during an IFR approach (even circling) work in IMC outside of CAS, so e.g. in G?

(In the UK) With an approach controller, it’s done procedurally, one at a time (or using radar if available). Without an approach controller… well, it’s not done at the moment, and arranging a way of mitigating the risk of midair collision is one of the aspects that would need to be addressed before that changes – CAP 1122 has more on that.

bookworm wrote:

Without an approach controller… well, it’s not done at the moment

So in the case of airspace G and an airport without tower control unit one cannot fly an IFR approach except “visually” (and that includes the whole approach, not just the circling, to ensure separation), is this correct?

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

bookworm wrote:

(In the UK) With an approach controller, it’s done procedurally, one at a time (or using radar if available). Without an approach controller… well, it’s not done at the moment, and arranging a way of mitigating the risk of midair collision is one of the aspects that would need to be addressed before that changes – CAP 1122 has more on that.

I often fly from Aberdeen to Dundee and fly the approach by contacting Dundee Approach 122.9…..which is the same as Dundee tower 122.9….and which does not have radar….which just means the single controller has both approach and tower responsibilities….it doesn’t have to be a separate facility.

Last Edited by AnthonyQ at 07 Jan 17:56
YPJT, United Arab Emirates

Vladimir wrote:

So in the case of airspace G and an airport without tower control unit one cannot fly an IFR approach except “visually” (and that includes the whole approach, not just the circling, to ensure separation), is this correct?

Technically, the illegality is making the instrument approach available. Note that the wording precedes the days of GNSS…

172 Provision of air traffic services
In the case of an aerodrome (other than a Government aerodrome) for which there is equipment for providing aid for holding, aid for let-down or aid for an approach to landing by radio or radar, the person in charge of the aerodrome must:
(a) inform the CAA in advance of the periods during and times at which any such equipment is to be in operation for the purpose of providing such aid as is specified by that person; and
(b) during any period and at such times as are notified, cause an approach control service to be provided.

That does not prohibit flying an “IFR approach” or even an instrument approach procedure without ATC. There’s also a rule that is part of the UK Rules of the Air Regulations 2015 (the wording also precedes the days of GNSS):

Use of radio navigation aids
24.—(1) Subject to paragraph (2), the commander of an aircraft must not make use of a radio
navigation aid without complying with such restrictions and procedures as may be notified in
relation to that aid.
(2) The commander of an aircraft is not required to comply with this rule if—
(a) the aircraft is required to comply with an air traffic control clearance issued for the flight;
or
(b) the commander is otherwise authorised by an air traffic control unit.

It has been suggested that this prohibits flying an instrument approach procedure without an ATC clearance. But you can fly an approach under IFR in class G, you just won’t get separation provided.

Sign in to add your message