Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

UL350i ordered

@LeSving

Did you fly with your UL 350 yet?

I have a plane with an early (2009) UL260i. It has only approx 220hrs but I have had to do some maintenance as various parts had oil leaks, although this was a pretty cheap task because UL provide the specs and dimensions all of the normal parts such as O rings, washers, sealants, bolts etc… so you can buy them from anywhere as cheap as you like. While I was at it, I replaced all the fuel tubing in the plane with Speedflow teflon hose, which works really well. Previously it used normal rubber/steel braided Speedflow hose, and the fuel smell permeated the hose so the cabin would smell of fuel when you opened the door at the start of the day. The fuel smell is now 100% gone since switching to teflon.

IMO it has noticeably less grunt than a similar Rotax 100hp plane. I do have a wooden Hercules prop though which I’m sure doesn’t help, and I plan to add a Duc Swirl R 2 prop in order to get better performance out of the engine. One thing I can say about a UL compared to a Rotax is that the UL powered plane is much, much harder to sell. I wouldn’t own another one purely on this basis.

I’ve only had about 20hrs run time on it myself, but besides the oil leak problems (mostly to do with errors by the previous owner/builder of the plane) it seems to run nicely. It’s very smooth and just starts/stops “on the button”, like a car, regardless of if the engine is hot or cold. I’m sure the engine will be great until such time as I have an electrical issue, then it will probably be a nightmare, but we’ll see.

Last Edited by IO390 at 11 Apr 16:53
United Kingdom
31 Posts
Sign in to add your message