Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Under the wing camping within 225 nm of EHTE

Hello, good friday, saturday and sundaymorning I have the club C172 booked for a trip with my daughters. Two thoughts, they love city trips, so I thought of Berlin, Paris, Cambridge (London already visited…), Copenhagen would be a stretch OR if the weather allows for it, a camping trip would be nice too. We would need to be at or in close proximity of the airport tho. Any nice suggestions would be appreciated! Somehow Aeroe (EKAE) popped up in my mind, any experiences?

Last Edited by Bobo at 06 Apr 10:37
EHTE, Netherlands

Cities: I love Paris, but don’t know if appeals to small kids all that much. In case, fly to Lognes, then either get an Uber into the city or walk 25 mins to the RER.

Also, Hamburg is always fantastic and also has a lot to offer for kids. Not all too far for a 172. EDDH is slightly expensive of course (expect about 140 Euros for two nights in a 172), but then, the airport is rather close to the city.

I will also recommend Frankfurt, as the skyscrapers are exciting and walks along the river Main are nice. Land in Egelsbach for Frankfurt.

In England, rather than Cambridge, with kids I would do Brighton (land at Shoreham). Beaches and amusements are always good for kids. Also remember that Cambrdige airport in not available at weekends. Would you be able to clear out of Schengen at EHTE at all?

If it doesn’t have to be a big city, then the choices open up indefinitely. But I would save things like small islands for summer.

Personally, I would make the choice a matter of the weather situation. Therefore, I would decide 2-3 days before departure.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 06 Apr 11:43
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

All of the following are slightly beyond your stated limit except EKNB, but not by much.

Bienenfarm EDOI is a nice grass strip with friendly people. I’ve camped there twice although one should phone in advance to verify it’s ok as the clubhouse (with WC) would normally be locked overnight. They have Avgas. I haven’t actually used it, but have been told that there is a station nearby on the rail line that runs next to the airfield and into Berlin. May be worth investigating. The strip itself is a bit in the middle of nowhere but it is one of several bases for the Quax club which owns and maintains a significant number of oldtimer aircraft Quax-Flieger

There are a number of excellent grass strips in southern Denmark which also wouldn’t be too far from the Netherlands for a long weekend. Of course with grass airfields the conditions need to be checked in advance as it is still early in the year and most want to know of arrival ahead of time anyway to provide a proper welcome.
- EKST Tasinge/Sydfyn – a lot of the island can be covered on foot. It is a short taxi ride into Svendborg which has several good restaurants. It is also a relatively short trip (1hr ???) by train up to Odense if one wants to visit a city (of Hans Christian Andersen fame).
- EKEL Endelave – perfect for camping and (many) bicycles available on the field for touring the island.
- EKNB Nordborg – camping welcome and club does a barbecue every Thursday (at least in summer, perhaps still too early for that).
None of the above three have fuel, but Avgas is available at EKMB Maribo (Self-service AirBp, perhaps also takes CC) and EKSB Sonderborg or in Germany at EDXF Flensburg or EDXR Schachtholm Rendsburg.

Last Edited by chflyer at 06 Apr 16:07
LSZK, Switzerland

Not sure what is age? but,
- In GBR, I think Oxford or Shoreham are nice or London (via Southend and 40min train?)
- In FRA, I think you have Lille & Paris (via Lognes and 20min RER)
- Belgium, you have Ostend with Beach & Bruges

Not sure if you can camp under the wing but should be ok in Ostend & Shoreham

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Thanks all! Maybe the Danish grass strips will have to wait to a bit later in the season. Is Oxford nicer than Cambridge? The girls are 7 and 9 and very much in to Harry Potter.

EHTE, Netherlands

Elstree (or Denham) then 15min taxi to WB studios for proper Harry Potter tour? there is also another film studio at Elstree, easy access to west London and airfield Greek restaurant tick few stars

Oxford is less hassle than Cambridge, I never managed to fly to the latter and I tried really very hard including taking weekdays off work, good luck trying…if you really want to visit Cambridge you can fly to Duxford (there is museum) then taxi

Last Edited by Ibra at 06 Apr 19:01

If weather favors Northern France, you can camp at Berck LFAM or St Omer LFQN.
Not much to see there, except the sea à LFAM and La coupole at LFQN.

We did camp with my parents when I was young at St Omer.
I don’t remember we did much but it is still a magic memory.

Have a great time for the Easter weekend.

Last Edited by Jujupilote at 07 Apr 07:04
LFOU, France

Ibra wrote:

Elstree (or Denham) then 15min taxi to WB studios for proper Harry Potter tour? there is also another film studio at Elstree, easy access to west London and airfield Greek restaurant tick few stars

Yes, that IS nice! Visited the WB Studios in 2020 with the oldest, but promised my wife we’d only go back if she can join too, and she’s unable that weekend.

EHTE, Netherlands

Jujupilote wrote:

If weather favors Northern France, you can camp at Berck LFAM or St Omer LFQN.
Not much to see there, except the sea à LFAM and La coupole at LFQN.

Thanks! We talked options yesterday but Paris now ranks very high, lets see what the weather will be like…

EHTE, Netherlands

Ping if around Lognes I am probably flying Rouen-Lognes on Sunday but a bit late on the afternoon

Last Edited by Ibra at 08 Apr 09:26
12 Posts
Sign in to add your message