Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Unusually low time aircraft for sale

The other thing is that the TKS is highly likely to be unusable. On that “mission profile” he would not have used it at all. The panels will likely need to be recovered by disconnecting the pipes and pressurising the TKS fluid at 60psi; this is authorised, but is a bit risky because any less than great pipe joins will come off, and this will happen inside the wings where they are not accessible.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Dan wrote:

an indicator (and tool I’ve used for pre-buys…) here, anyone with a biz account for more on this one?

oh, and by the way, you can get it for free on adsbexchange. Like this:

Last Edited by loco at 15 Jun 17:57
LPFR, Poland

Probably that is why the owner finally realized he won’t have time or wish to fly anymore in this life time so better find someone who does.

This is one of the biggest problems many owners face: they actually do lack the time to fly but deny it to themselves for many years. But this is what produces low hour almost like new airplanes like this.

boscomantico wrote:

No repairs for the GNS units is of no concern. They are the most reliable piece of kit out there. And when (or rather: IF it ever) fails, then you stick in a replacement.

Exactly. Even when Garmin can’t (or wont) fix them anymore, there are dozens of replacement units around. If not, Avidyne will gladly sell a slide in replacement or one can put in a newer Garmin unit with a bit of installation work. Peanuts in terms of airplane ownership.

I sent my 430W to be repaired because it still can be done and at least then I have a running unit for sale once I can afford to upgrade. For what I use it, it is still a very capable unit.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Aug 2022 to Apr 2023…

Administrator

an indicator (and tool I’ve used for pre-buys…) here, anyone with a biz account for more on this one?

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

TXR wrote:

Four years ago

Notice something? Four years ago was a different market (and eight years ago yet a differrent one).

A pal has just sold his SR22. Made three times (!) as much as what he paid eight years ago (granted, he invested a lot of money in it, but he still more or less flew for free in all these 8 years).

No repairs for the GNS units is of no concern. They are the most reliable piece of kit out there. And when (or rather: IF it ever) fails, then you stick in a replacement. Peanut amounts in the general scheme of operating a big piston single these days.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

The topic is unusually low time aircraft, not so much whether a particular sample is good value or not

But, on the value Q, there are two kinds of things in life: those you can change, and those you can’t. You can’t install TKS anymore; well not practically (I did it and posted the details here, but CAV aren’t going to support another TB customer). A TB21 with full TKS is the pinnacle of below-PA46 SEPs, FL250, etc, equivalent (almost same TAS) to an SR22T which costs at least 2x more even when quite old. Avionics you can change. Anyway, whether LPV is desirable depends on your mission profile. I have never had a need for it.

This TB, if hangared, has the potential to be in mint condition when it comes to the airframe. I mean, it may not have had a single 50hr service in its whole life – just ~20 annuals And airframe parts cost real money to fix if needed. I would worry about the engine being full of rust.

Administrator

TXR wrote:

The 530 is a concern. Garmin has just announced that not all parts are available anymore for 430s and 530s, incl. the WAAS versions, and that repairs are no longer guaranteed.

my 430W has just been sent to Garmin for repair. Hope they can still do it. But definitly, the end is very near for that particular box. However, many airplanes still come with those and at least there are slide in replacements available…

Of course, it’s hard to tell from four pictures, but that price seems a bit steep. Four years ago, there was a TB-21 GT on the market that had substantially better avionics, less than 700h, not to mention sat phone and leather; and they were asking slightly less. But it didn’t have de-ice. Inflation > drop in value?

The 530 is a concern. Garmin has just announced that not all parts are available anymore for 430s and 530s, incl. the WAAS versions, and that repairs are no longer guaranteed.

TXR
Roger Wilco
Switzerland

What we don’t know is how this 350 hrs were flown. All we know is that it appears to be current in maintenance and ARC.

IMHO it is much more important to know what it has done in the last 2 years as opposed to the 20 before. Quite a few hangar queens have had wake ups which went without too much hitches, while others needed serious work. I have seen several being resurrected even after substantial time without any activity without any severe hickup. I think the most impressive one was a Piper Challenger which had sat for 15 years and got back to flying after a performing a slightly more than normal annual. That was a few years ago and the airplane has been very active since. The engine had no issues whatsoever.

This exemplar has always been hangared so at least it was reasonably dry.

Pre-buy is a necessity in any case, if done seriously by someone who knows those planes, it’s then one can get the idea what, if anything, is required or desirable to do.

16 Posts
Sign in to add your message