Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Vagar/ Faeroe Islands

Hiya,

Vagar/ Faeroe Islands is a trip I would like to do this year if the aircraft I intend to use is not sold. She has a 6 hour endurance which means I can do Wick to Vagar and return with good reserves should something prevent me from landing at Vagar.

My question to the collective and those that understand the weather better in that part of the world; when would you look to plan for such a trip in the year? Or is there no real pattern to the weather and it is lucky dip?

Ta.

Always looking for adventure
Shoreham

Having landed at Vagar at night in IMC I would strongly suggest you ensure it is clear when you try to go. As Wick is your only option to return you need to be careful of fog. We did Greenland to Vagar in October. I would call Andrew at Far North Aviation who will have a good feel.

It is a fun place to fly into but there isn’t much there.

They do have hangarage if you are going in colder months.

Last Edited by JasonC at 06 Jan 19:44
EGTK Oxford

Hi,

I have not really thought about the detail apart from doing a general plog. In an ideal world, I would like to do it as a day trip – yes I am mad – or just as an overnighter. I have heard how fast the weather can change so my motivation is to try plan around the time of year that the weather is likely to be at its most stable. Things like hangarage I have not thought of yet but would prefer to do it in the warmer periods of the year. It really is one itch I would like to scratch but fully accept it may always remain an itch.

Thanks for your input.

Shoreham

I am sure you can read the tafs and metars like anybody else but the thing I find useful as a guard against fog formation is how close the temp and dewpoint are.

If say the temp is +8C and the DP is +6C then the temp only has to fall by 2C and you are likely to get instant and widespread fog.

This is often the case in the Shoreham (UK coast) area where one needs to be careful flying in the evening. If doing a very short local (e.g. to log night time) you can usually see the start of it by looking at the street lights and when they start to get fuzzy you fly back fast

So I would time any flight (in such conditions) so that it happens when the temp-DP spread is improving i.e. nowhere near late afternoon or evening.

So pick two consecutive days of decent wx (evident from the MSLP charts, and from the tafs etc nearer the time) and do the two flights in the morning.

I nearly always do significant trips with an early morning departure because it gives one much more time to hang out, etc.

Fog forecasting is a near-total black art which nobody seems to have a grip on. Forecasting the stuff seems largely haphazard and based on doing this many times I would never get airborne to a fogged-up destination whose fog is forecast to clear by time X for example. Actually in this case, with no alternates, any forecast of fog – stay away.

Last Edited by Peter at 06 Jan 20:24
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I dont agree with JasonC saying that ‘there is not much there’. Why after flying all that way not spend a few days enjoying the scenery, fresh air and culture. You can
hire a car at the airfield and explore the other islands as well. However you can at times get some raging winds up there, at FL270 I had 89kts headwind which decreased to about 20kts at the surface. You should go for it, IMHO its a great place to visit. Rgds, Q

For once I’d have to disagree with Jason as well – Faroe Islands is one of the most stunning locations in Europe, in terms of landscapes. (and no, I don’t say that just because I’m danish) The scenery is absolutely out of this World & easily matches Iceland etc. I’m actually surprised so few european pilots knows about this place.

A tech stop in IMC shows pretty much nothing. (the airport itself is indeed strikingly dull)

You have to spend a couple of days up there. The road network & public transport is excellent. (courtesy of the Danish taxpayers ) Also you can file VFR & tour low level around the islands & enjoy the stunning landscapes. However, make sure you study the map of power lines pretty carefully – they span some of the fjords. Also being right in the middle of the North Atlantic weather systems, “quickly changing weather conditions” would be an understatement. (think Norway times x 10)

Fair enough I stand corrected. My views on the rest of the Islands are driven by Danish friends. The airport hotel is actually quite OK and is an easy walk.

I promise to give the Faroe Islands another chance. Maybe in summer!

EGTK Oxford

Thank you to everyone for you comments, tit bits of info and advice. It fuels the fire to visit and I just hope the aircraft does not get sold before I get to do this trip. I would take Mavis but she only has a 4 hour range at 83kts. I might very well spend a night or two there and accept the weather risk that I might get stuck. Best clear the work diary either side of my intended visit dates.

If any one has a view on the best time to visit that would be useful to start focusing my mind on the detail of the trip.

Again, thank you.

Shoreham
8 Posts
Sign in to add your message