Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Very nice IFR sunset video

A few days ago we had a discussion here about what makes a good aviation video.

I came across this one, which I think is an exceptionally enjoyable video shot in IMC/dusk at and around my home base EDLE. The editor did a lot of things “right”:

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

Lot of right things – including choosing the proper pilot :)

He got two things right.

• the proper pilot, and
  • editing out about 99% of the video

But you can always tell a professionally made video – even a bad one is better than an amateur attempt. A few years ago, a friend of mine was throwing a lot of money at a corporate video making company for a video for his business, and they did a little one of him flying his TB20. It was very very slick. It was never published though.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Nice video!

It’s a matter of taste, of course, but for a flying video like this one I think that mixing the ATC recording with music adds value. It’s nice to hear “cleared for the VOR-DME Approach RWY26”, “Cleared to Land”, etc. when watching the approach…

Less music and more RT would be nice but not a bad video.

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

As I said before, music is a very personal thing, and what one person likes another hates. It’s like politics or religion I don’t think there are many “completely safe” tracks, other than some no-name musac type of very bland thing.

Getting an audio track good during the flight needs a bit of care, and ideally needs a connection into the intercom (a.k.a. the audio panel). One can get an adequate result with a little mike tucked into the headset, and that’s what I use. One also needs to speak clearly and that often doesn’t happen. I wonder how much ATC stuff is actually mixed-in after the flight? And I don’t mean recorded during the flight at all

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Less music and more RT would be nice but not a bad video.

Depends on the music. Professional aviation videos almost always ends up too “cheesy”. The shooting is good, but the editing and end result tends to be a bit yawn. The first part of the Lanceair formation video is excellent. Nice airplanes, nice shooting, nice flying and good music. After seeing it I bet every pilot has a “I also have to do this” – feeling.

This one was nice though, I definitely got a “got to go flying” feel. It’s not often we see a “IFR-video”, I cannot remember having seen a single one. Only on Euro GA I guess

Still I think if the pilot himself, or herself, made a video. It would be rougher, but the music would be much better, it would be “real” music.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Headset spiltter cables take care of the ATC audio eliminating all extraneous noise

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Still I think if the pilot himself, or herself, made a video. It would be rougher, but the music would be much better, it would be “real” music.

The guy who made this video is a flight instructor himself, though not on this flight, obviously.

It really is a matter of taste – to me, the choice of music and the music/RT ratio are very appealing. Not in terms of an educational movie, but in terms of a “get the feeling” video. After watching it, I want to start my NVFR, EIR, and PA28 checkout immediately.

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

Sorry for the obvious comment…

…but with an EIR, you will not be able to do anything remotely resembling the flight shown in the video…

Last Edited by boscomantico at 11 Nov 08:53
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
12 Posts
Sign in to add your message