Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

VFR CAS transits

Not “by default”, but ICAO lays it into the hands of the NAAs to allow it.

That is true, but ICAO also does not provide any rules for night VFR — that also is up to each NAA.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I have made the experience, that it is much easier just to ask for crossings of CTR or D/C aircpace on direct tracks. I tend to use radio nav aids though, because it is easier to communicate with the ATCO and helps for situational awareness of others. So if there is a VOR or NDB along the route, I usually fly towards or from them. I have never experienced any question to follow VFR routes. If I was given headings, then for traffic (glider secor in EDDG or someone on the ILS) and after being clear I got a direct to the chosen navaid usually, or to intercept my old radial again. If there is no Navaid, I use the desired track or, if my destination lies within the vicinity of the airspace, I ask for a direct to my destination. Very easy and highly recommended to my students.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

ICAO rules don’t even permit VFR at night.

Not “by default”, but ICAO lays it into the hands of the NAAs to allow it.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Yes; I would assume the whole business of night flight is different and potentially is IFR, so Class E is controlled and needs a clearance.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Is that defined somewhere, or your own meaning on the phrase?

It’s in Annex 2, Annex 11 (as Ultranomad noted) and SERA. At least.

Radio is required to fly Class E at night…..

Ah, but that is a SERA rule. ICAO rules don’t even permit VFR at night.

Radio is required to fly Class E at night…..

Last Edited by Jojo at 01 Feb 08:12
Bordeaux

Class E needs a clearance for IFR but VFR traffic can fly in it non-radio so for VFR it is equivalent to Class G, practically speaking. You can call it “CAS” but it isn’t so for VFR.

The “magical” thing in the extensive US Class E is that anybody silently flying around through an IAP (above 700ft or 1200ft IIRC) will be illegal, whereas here in Europe VFR traffic does that frequently and one sometimes has to break off an IAP in Class G because somebody is heading straight for you. However I am sure the fairly orderly US situation (IAPs at unmanned airfields, etc) works as well as it does because their IR has always been very accessible, so the regs on “cowboy VFR” are rather more respected, whereas in Europe the IR has always been hard in many ways so loads of pilots do VFR in IMC.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

In ICAO Annex 11, no less.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Class E is certainly controlled airspace! “Controlled airspace” only means that ATC service is given

EIWT Weston, Ireland
17 Posts
Sign in to add your message