Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Vienna - Austria, LOAV, LOWW

Thank you Airborne_Again and Snoopy, that is indeed illuminating.

@Wolfgang_O, @Josh_Tahmasebi_ForeFlight you might want to have your team double-check your data source to see why this “clearance delivery” frequency is shown for LOAV but doesn’t seem to match any official source. Should be 133.685.

For general information of people, for 1.8t MTOW, 30h parking and 1 PAX:

• I got a quote from LOWW at about 250 EUR + VAT = 300 EUR VAT inclusive
  • I got a quote from LZIB (Bratislava) about 120 EUR + VAT = 140 EUR VAT inclusive

Since the weather forecast looks good for next weekend, I plan LOAV.

ELLX

Or does this mean I would get the “full route” IFR clearance already on the ground (with IFR starting only passing AV807/1400ft)?

Yes it does. There’s a designated spot where you have sufficient radio reception to contact Wien Delivery. Do note that after departure you contact Wien Radar on a different frequency.

https://www.austrocontrol.at/jart/prj3/ac/data/uploads/ATM/Briefing_IFR_LOAV_LOAN_V1-0.pdf

always learning
LO__, Austria

lionel wrote:

The guys on the INFO frequency 118.605 will not do it, or “it is our responsibility to confirm with them they did it”? (It is not an A/A frequency, there is someone on the ground on it, right?)

Indeed there is someone on the ground, but AIP states that it is “AD OPR”, which I interpret as A/G, not AFIS.

Foreflight shows a “Clearance Delivery” frequency of 118.23, that’s a bit suspicious for a VFR aerodrome, even it has a SID starting “only” 4km/2nmi from the aerodrome… Or does this mean I would get the “full route” IFR clearance already on the ground (with IFR starting only passing AV807/1400ft)?

According to the briefing by Austrocontrol you will get the route clearance on the ground, but not on 118.230.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Any update to the recommendations/situation described in this thread seven years ago?

The AIP for LOAV says “The PIC is responsible for (…) transmission of actual time of departure (ATD) and for ‘Closing of the FLight Plan’”. What does that mean concretely? The guys on the INFO frequency 118.605 will not do it, or “it is our responsibility to confirm with them they did it”? (It is not an A/A frequency, there is someone on the ground on it, right?)

Foreflight shows a “Clearance Delivery” frequency of 118.23, that’s a bit suspicious for a VFR aerodrome, even it has a SID starting “only” 4km/2nmi from the aerodrome… Or does this mean I would get the “full route” IFR clearance already on the ground (with IFR starting only passing AV807/1400ft)?

ELLX

The bus between BTS and VIE is said to be convenient:
http://www.postbus.at/en/International_lines/index.jsp

always learning
LO__, Austria

LOWS and LOWI are the only Austrian airports with parking restrictions in winter, due to their proximity to the big skiing areas.

Whether you fly to LZIB or one of the airfields near Vienna, if weather is sufficient you should fly the low level VFR route along the Danube. You’ll have great views of the inner city of Vienna, while being barely higher than the new skyscrapers on the northern bank of the river. Depending on traffic at LOWW, you may either have to return to Klosterneuburg and circumfly the CTR from there or you may be granted a midfield crossing of LOWW and then a direct to your destination.

LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

LOWS require PPR on Saturdays due to limited parking. I called and obtained a PPR number for arriving on the late afternoon of 26/12.

I called LOWG too. They have absolutely no problem with parking capacity and will provide an estimate of the fees for 2 days.

Wrt Vienna I called LOAV. They do not have any issues with parking either. I am however worried about getting stuck and unable to depart, so I will most probably opt for Bratislava where there is less chance of not being able to depart, that do not seem to require a slot and which have good transportation to Vienna, and is more reasonably priced than LOWW.

LFPT, LFPN

blueline wrote:

If departing on a Z flightplan with an IFR pickup point nearby, the “Flugleiter” in LOAN or LOAV will coordinate with Vienna Radar and already give you the sqawk. He cannot give you the proper clearance, but you contact Radar (128,2) immediately after departure and they clear you. So no issue procedure-wise, but you need sufficient visibility/ceiling for the takeoff.

Exactly what I needed. Thanks. Having the squawk (startup clearance) before departure is helpful because it reduces the time to get the IFR clearance.

LFPT, LFPN

You are welcome. :)

Regarding Stockerau: Yes thats right, and it is probably the shortest train ride into town after LOWW, also depends a little where in Vienna you want to go. For that Stockerau is nice. One thing to consider is that it sometimes has quite strong crosswinds due to runway direction vs. prevalent wind directions with supposedly strong turbulence from a local forest and buildings on the field. But I would say that it is not a major issue unless you get gusts of 30kts plus, not that uncommon though.

Should you end up at LOAV anyways: The distance to the train station is also 2.6km with somewhat frequent connections (every 30min). Wiener Neustadt is similar with sometimes faster train connections (it is a railway station with intercity/international connections).

@Aviathor thanks for the hint with the username. Regarding the IFR departure clearance: It is currently not possible AFAIK, but you could/should call Wien Radar on the phone and prearrange the clearance, still need an IFR pickup in the air. The version with IFR clearance obtained on the ground is actually in planing, but at what time this is going to happen, who knows. Also in that case IFR only starts when passing a certain flightlevel, which is more of an issue with no SID.

211 Eur for LOWW would be what I would expect with a small SEP plane (<2t). Regarding parking I also just checked the published fees, would expect at least 33 Eur per day. Maybe more. Plus 17.39 Eur for each Pax.
Whole list of fees: http://www.viennaairport.com/jart/prj3/va/uploads/data-uploads/Charges%20Regulations%202015.pdf
Additionally to those I think you have to pay handling fees, which get the landing fee of 116 Eur + Pax fees + Fueling fees up above 200 Eur.

Last Edited by fabian at 13 Dec 13:49
Fly for your dreams
LOAV

Thanks for the compilation @fabian .

While not posting a lot recently, may I add that LOAU (Stockerau) has a courtesy car available. OTOH, they are very limited in hard surface parking and hangar space, so one should definitely call ahead.

LOAS (Spitzerberg) is a nice laid-back grass airfield, but absolutely in the middle of nowhere. Someone needs to give you a lift to get to public transport. I guess taxis (if available at all) are very expensive due to the long drive to get there. Especially in winter, the runway conditions can be prohibitive for all but the most sturdy aircraft.

From LOAN (Wiener Neustadt) to Vienna, it’s 10 or 15 minutes more by train than from LOAV (Vöslau). Taxi fees to the station should be comparable. Both LOAN and LOAV are professional fields with quite a lot of traffic and among the busiest GA installations in Austria.

@Aviathor: If departing on a Z flightplan with an IFR pickup point nearby, the “Flugleiter” in LOAN or LOAV will coordinate with Vienna Radar and already give you the sqawk. He cannot give you the proper clearance, but you contact Radar (128,2) immediately after departure and they clear you. So no issue procedure-wise, but you need sufficient visibility/ceiling for the takeoff.

Last Edited by blueline at 13 Dec 13:43
LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria
13 Posts
Sign in to add your message