Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Visit to Juist (EDWJ)

Three weeks ago I had the C172 (diesel, G1000W kap140) booked for a flight with my daughter to Antwerp, but a warm front rolling in from the south made us change our plans, so we decided to fly to the north instead and enjoy the sea. Never disappoints. A few scattered showers were to be expected but I figured these could be avoided.

I filed a Z flightplan from Teuge (EHTE) to Eelde (EHGG) where I could practice an instrument approach and do a touch and go. We would continue on a Y flightplan for the short hop to Juist. The weather was fine, with only a layer of cloud at Eelde at 3.000 ft. We left Teuge around 11:00 LT, and picked up our IFR clearance from Dutch Mil, we proceeded North and got switched to Eelde approach after half an hour of flying. RWY23 was in use, but I asked and got an RNP approach for RWY05 as it was way more favorable to our direction of travel. I brought some snacks for Julie (8 yo) and she enjoyed the view and her iPad.

The approach into Eelde went fairly smooth, and on final we got the climbout instructions and the SID that would take us in a straight line to Juist. ATC was very helpful, they asked if we wanted to continue the climb through the clouds. We were around freezing level and although the layer was thin I suggested that at 3.000 feet we would remain clear. So we got 3.000 feet instead of 5.000. These things sparked the idea that I could be a bit more proactive with ATC, just asking and waiting to be asked. We proceeded to TEMLU on the fir boundary and from there over to Langen FIS for a short while. The islands were clearly visible now and Borkum was bathing in sunshine but our destination was not as a rainshower was moving over the Island. A friendly welcome by Juist info as we crossed the Wattenmeer to enter the pattern over the North Sea side of Juist. Proved convenient that the pattern altitude was 600 ft msl, any higher and we would have been in the clouds. We landed in the rain, paid our dues and rode to town on an e-scooter that we brought. There was a nice tea salon in town where we enjoyed a Kaffee und Kuchen at the fireplace. Julie marveled at the idea that no cars are allowed on the island and horse and carriage is the main mode of transport. She loves horses. The weather had cleared in the meantime so we made it over to the beach we had to ourselves! As the front was doing it’s thing we couldn’t stick around to long and headed back to the airport for a nice VFR flight back to Teuge. When we arrived back, did the paperwork and closed the hangar the weather deteriorated beyond vmc. So we got the most out of our day. A bit of a Time Machine, an aircraft – even if it’s just a C172. Good times!

Inspired by Bosco’s trip report I just started typing on my iPhone, I’ll add photo’s later!

I did make a video of the flight to Juist:

Last Edited by Bobo at 11 Dec 08:03
EHTE, Netherlands

Love the video @Bobo

As someone who did his PPL in Leer-Papenburg EDWF and also landed at Juist during the training, this evoked a lot of memories for me. I still remember the paved stone runway at Juist which felt surprisingly smooth when landing there and is also the only of its kind I have seen so far.

Also, as a dad who has a slightly younger daughter, I hope I can fly with her one day the way you do (right now she’s still too afraid :( )

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

MedEwok wrote:

Also, as a dad who has a slightly younger daughter, I hope I can fly with her one day the way you do (right now she’s still too afraid :( )

My hope as well… but it’s probably not my daughter which will take that decision or even figure out if she’s afraid or not…..

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Mooi video

Seems like a unique place to visit. I’ll have to add it to my list!

EHRD, Netherlands

Agreed – nice video!

Juist was the first of the Frisian islands I attempted to land at when I was a freshly baked PPL holder. I aborted that at the time because I felt I was not up to the crosswind that day and flew to Borkum instead, which has a slightly more “flexible” runway system.

Still love Juist from the many successful visits afterwards.

Also, next time you come to the islands, let us know. Throwing in another probably similarly aged girl here who generally likes to fly along and we aren’t far from the islands. Although these days she often asks “When can we fly in a real airplane again, like Eurowings?”

Groetjes

Last Edited by Patrick at 12 Dec 12:58
Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

I brought some snacks for Julie (8 yo) and she enjoyed the view and her iPad.

They say you can judge a good flight by the attitude of the passengers.
It is clear, from the wonderful video, that Julie – who was relaxed throughout – thoroughly appeared to have enjoyed the trip.
It brought back memories of when I led a Fly-Out from Rochester (‘ Riddle of the Sands ’ tour) to all the Friesian Islands, including Juist.
At every island we were made very welcome.
I remember saying: “By Direct flight, the Friesian Islands are actually the closest part of Germany to the U.K.; although by their enjoyable atmosphere and isolation you would feel you were 1000 miles away.”

Last Edited by Peter_G at 12 Dec 16:58
Rochester, UK, United Kingdom

Thank you for the report.

I can’t find the AIP online but this database report says there is no customs/immigration. Otherwise I would definitely try to pop over; it looks really nice

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I was too late to add photo’s, but I guess the video tells the story just the same! I love the Frisian isles each has it’s own vibe, it is like @Peter_G says like you are a 1000 miles away in just one hour. A lot of fun, and flying over the shallow Waddensea is amazing, especially with the light that comes with this time of year. @Peter, you could do a stopover at Eelde/Groningen (EHGG) and continue after that. Let me know if you do? This was the first time I brought my NineBot e-step scooter, I initially had planned to take two, but they proved to be a bit large to fit. Even one was a bit of a hassle. We went to Lütje Teehuus in the village, very nice and typical with a lovely fireplace. A good spot to wait out the rain.

Happy times!

Ju(i)st beautiful!

Last Edited by Bobo at 13 Dec 09:35
EHTE, Netherlands

Peter writes:

I can’t find the AIP online but this database report says there is no customs/immigration.

Both Borkum EDWR and Norderney EDWY (either side of Juist) can sometimes arrange Customs – so making it a direct flight from U.K. Give them a call – the Towers on all the Islands are very helpful including in finding accommodation etc for one.

Bono writes:

This was the first time I brought my NineBot e-step scooter,

Most of the fields have many bikes available – but they quickly go at peak times

Last Edited by Peter_G at 13 Dec 09:53
Rochester, UK, United Kingdom
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
13 Posts
Sign in to add your message