Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Visiting Athens - Megara LGMG?

I’m hoping for a bit of inside knowledge about Megara LGMG. I’ve been thinking about it as an alternative to the main international airport LGAV for visiting Athens. Advantage – lower costs and much easier to deal with taxiing. Disadvantage – VFR only, although in early summer I’d hope that wasn’t likely to create big problems!

I can see that getting in should be ok, but just a bit concerned about picking up an IFR clearance on departure. LGMG is VFR only but is towered (according to Jepp). How does that work out in a Greek context – is the tower able to issue an IFR clearance or do I have to pick that up airborne whilst VFR in busy Athens terminal airspace? (Heading back towards northern Europe I’d fly IFR to Corfu LGKR for fuel/Customs.)

Any insights, including whether easy/difficult to get into Athens city centre from Megara, would be much appreciated!

TJ
Cambridge EGSC

TJ wrote:

Any insights, including whether easy/difficult to get into Athens city centre from Megara, would be much appreciated!

Last time (about 5 years ago) I took a taxi from the airport to the nearest train station, then the train into downtown athens. This takes roughly an hour.

LSZK, Switzerland

Megara LGMG is indeed the best option for Athens.

Yes it is a controlled mixed CIV/MIL airfield with CIV apron for GA use.
IFR to/from there is a non issue.
99% of days there are no weather issues
Usual wind when windy is 330 15~20 Kts.
SOUTH runway 26L-08R is only used as runway and north parallel runway as taxiway.

CHARTS & PICTURES
https://www.you-fly.com/servlet/aid/AirportInformation.class?view&uid=aid,apt,l,g,lgmg

IFR ARRIVAL:
You cancel IFR once visual with the area (or when you like).
They will ask you to proceed to EGN NDB just to the south of it.
Do not put EGN in your FPL, Eurocontrol does not recognize it for validation.
Just file a route ending inside/on the border of the Athens TMA.

Example for IFR LGKR to LGMG
MALED A14 TRL J61 DDM
(mixed IFR-VFR) MALED A14 ARA J52 IXONI/VFR L53 KOR
Whichever you file Athens Approach in practice will clear you direct EGN somewhere close to the TMA border (NEMES, PIKAD etc.)
On a filing basis the way down is the long option due to Eurocontrol restrictions.
Once close to EGN and you cancel, Approach then transfers you to Athens TMA FIS 124,025 (the approach guys handling TMA VFR traffic looking in same radar screens but not providing radar service).
From EGN you proceed VFR to LGMG and contact the tower when asked.

If (since) you are not based a CAA car will act as sort of follow me to welcome you.

IFR DEPARTURE:
IFR LGMG to LGKR
KOR L53 PARNA (The proper routing which cannot be filed reciprocal for southeastbound).
File IFR even though there is no SID, it passes validation.
LGMG Tower will issue you the IFR clearance and instruct you to proceed VFR VMC towards EGN at xxxxx Alt.
Once out of their zone you are asked to contact Athens TMA FIS 124,025.
They issue you the IFR pick up after a couple of moments since the Approach Control colleague is right next to them and usually they give good DCT’s once you go above 4~6,000ft.

General stuff:
Check LGMG NOTAMs for hours of operation and for contact details so they keep you a parking position.
They will ask you with aircraft details and people on board details (nationalities etc.) because is a MIL site even though CIV apron.
No handling. Lots of based maintenance companies if you need something.
You may not be allowed to enter the apron by the Police guard at apron gate before the official opening hour of the (CIV) airport which is when CAA arrives.
Police asks to see the General Declaration document (acting as a passenger manifest) and corsschecks it with IDs before they allow you in the apron.
Based operators (known to Police) may only be allowed to enter apron before opening time.
On the other hand you need to wait for the CAA guy to arrive so that he stamps you the Gen.Dec. form. hence the comment about not earlier than opening time.
Allow some 30 minutes for apron access due to admin. stuff if you want a departure “as soon as the airport opens” since everybody who wants to do the same is there waiting as well (especially on weekends).

5’ Taxi ride to local suburban train and you are in Athens center in an hour (total).
Taxi to Athens center, some ~80 Euro and no hassle of changing trains etc.
Phone number of taxi’s available from CAA office (handy if you call them in advance while at apron. They come from Megara town).

AVGAS available all days except Mondays.

If you don’t mind the 200ish Euro cost (airport & handling) + some 30~40/day you can proceed to Athens Int’l LGAV with very easy connection to Athens center (taxi ~40 Euro)
It is very accommodating to IFR and VFR GA with H24 full services airport. Its just a cost issue and a matter of having the ground layout chart handy for taxiways instructions.
@Peter don’t say what I know you are about to ! 99% of cases ATC is very good there with very good English !

General info. for flying in Greece
http://www.aopa.gr//Infohttp://www.aopa.gr/en/flying-in-greece

Last Edited by petakas at 12 Apr 12:41
LGMG Megara, Greece

@TJ copy ?

LGMG Megara, Greece

Petakas -just copied! Many thanks for such a great post. That’s really very useful. In fact so useful that I’ll print it off and take it with me!

Much appreciated.

TJ
Cambridge EGSC

@petakas, thanks – that’s hugely helpful.

If I were to go to LGAV, can you recommend a handler?

EGEO

I am going to LGMG too, August 13, just got the confirmation from the airport about the parking (although plane will be parked in a hangar for + 2 weeks). worked all smoothly except they send yo a Greek document ;-)

You guys should be talking to Alex the head of Global Aviation at Megara.

They are the main flight school & FBO with parking, hangar and A&Ps, a great crew !

Details below, and tell them I sent you !

Alexandros Tsaktanis
Managing Director

Global Aviation SA
Civil Aviation Airport Pachi
Megara, 19 100, Greece

Tel: +30 22960 81154
Fax: +30 22960 25459
Email: [email protected]
Web: www.GlobalAviationSA.com

Last Edited by Michael at 08 Jul 19:21
FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Actually my plane will be hangared in Global Aviation’s hangar in August.
Alexandros is really a nice guy! Petakas gave me the tip, thank you again!

@jwoolard For LGAV Swissport have been very professional in all my visits when I have used them there.

[email protected] is their email there.

Last Edited by petakas at 09 Jul 07:28
LGMG Megara, Greece
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message