Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

VOR approach

The IR(R) renewal/revalidation requires a non-precision approach at some point, and in my (our) aeroplane RNAV is not an option (yet).

Are you sure? SRG1178 Page 2 Section 4.1 "Let down and approach to DH/MDH using pilot interpreted aid’

And if a second approach is required for renewal or revalidation then “This approach must have been of a different type to that tested at section 4.1”

Bathman wrote:

Are you sure? SRG1178 Page 2 Section 4.1 "Let down and approach to DH/MDH using pilot interpreted aid’

And if a second approach is required for renewal or revalidation then “This approach must have been of a different type to that tested at section 4.1”

Well, assuming no RNAV capability, if one does an ILS as the first approach then the second approach will probably need to be either an NDB or a VOR.

To be honest, no approaches are trivial to arrange in the UK at the moment, and when you’ve hired an examiner and have a slot in which to get it done you need a bit of certainty when it comes to booking approaches. It is proving quite challenging to arrange with certainty an approach slot at an airport which has the kind of approach I need at a time which works for me and the examiner, without flying an awful long way. And of course the further you fly, the more certain it really needs to be.

EGLM & EGTN

You call still ask ATC to switch off the GP on ILS/DME and fly LOC/DME only, one is precision and the other is not precision, although, at the end of the day it’s the examiner on RHS who decides what counts as PA/NPA or 2D/3D not the rules or approach/aircraft specs

Booking these in UK SE for practice/exams is just a nightmare…

Last Edited by Ibra at 17 Nov 18:13
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Reading all this VOR stuff… I haven’t flown anything like this anywhere (not China, not even Bangladesh), since ca. 2008, and back then it was maybe 1 VOR every 700 ILS in a year.

The newer garmins can create an approach to any runway. Yes not certified etc… just the direction we’re moving in.

always learning
LO__, Austria
34 Posts
Sign in to add your message