Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

VOR/CDI inaccuracies...

Hi everyone :D

I fly my Grumman AA5 traveller about the Orkney Islands, out of Kirkwall (EGPA) which has an ILS for both runways. It’s nice to know that if I get caught out by the weather (which should never happen, I know) there is a sort of safety net to fall back on, and I can use the ILS to guide back down. To be fair, the weather is very changeable up here.

Only thing is… my standby CDI is inop and my main one is inaccurate. I’ve tested it a few times. The V shaped antennas on the top of the fin look okay, if a little crooked. Any thoughts on what the problem might be or is it just impossible to say over this?

Thanks.

could be Antenna cable (shielding or bad connections). I had it once poor reception/sensitivity etc..was due to old coax cable
Check the antenna in/outs to your NAV radio’s/splitter//Antenna connector

Last Edited by Vref at 10 Jun 15:19
EBST

What is inaccurate? Localizer or glideslope or both?

If it’s the localizer, listen to the CW ident on both radios in turn. If there’s a noticable difference in noisyness, then it’s likely the radio, cabling or the splitter, if they both sound clear, then it’s probably not on the RF side.

LSZK, Switzerland

I think it’s just the LOC not the G/S that’s inaccurate, but it’s a lot more difficult to tell if the G/S is off…

What’s the CW ident? Also I only have one radio haha

Thanks for your help though, keep the suggestions coming if possible :)

Cheers.

Scenic_Flyer wrote:

What’s the CW ident?

When you switch on NAV audio on your audio panel, you should hear morse code identification of the station

LSZK, Switzerland
5 Posts
Sign in to add your message