Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Weather information Africa

Does anybody of you have experience on how to obtain good weather information for Africa?
Our trip to South Africa will start in 2 weeks and we will be crossing Egypt, Sudan, Kenya, Tansania and Mosambique with a Cirrus G5.

EDMA

Windy works Worldwide (get Premium account for 20€/year)

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Wow, that was fast, Ibra! Thank you!

EDMA
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thank you both, again!

Have dealt with windy superficially so far.
Bought Premium last night and I was surprised what the app has to offer.
Great tool!

EDMA

It would be great if you have time during your trip to make a brief analysis of quality of the forecasts compared to real weather encountered. I don’t think many of us had the opportunity to check Windy’s forecasts in Africa. I usually make few screenshots of forecasts (both ECMWF and GFS models) and few ADL screenshots during the flight and post flight try to assess quality of forecast in given conditions.

Last Edited by Emir at 01 Nov 06:28
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

We have Connext on board (GSR56), but in Africa no radar, no satellite coverage (same for Golze ADL).
But through Connext we get METAR/TAF, SIGMET, AIRMET, Winds and Lightning.

Windy quality check is a good idea, but then only screenshot vs real weather.

EDMA

Manitu wrote:

Windy quality check is a good idea, but then only screenshot vs real weather.

Screenshot vs window view shot

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I guess it’s easy to compare Windy forecasts t-2days for some against METAR at t even in Africa as of today without going there? that should be enough for aerdrome weathe?

For en-route weather, it has to be the view outside the window or feel inside the clouds

I have been doing this even when not flying for years in UK/France, very happy with quality of trends & uncertainty from Windy data and I have a good idea of the models…no idea about Africa, it will be GFS only?

Last Edited by Ibra at 01 Nov 11:48
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

no idea about Africa, it will be GFS only?

No. ECMWF data exist also.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia
15 Posts
Sign in to add your message