Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Is it legal to use a Go-Pro in an airplane?

Peter wrote:

There is no known enforcement – even in cases where ATC is shown to be doing a very bad job, like here.

Back in 2012, I had a camera running inside my plane, recording also ATC, whilst I was transiting a Delta CTR and part of what it recorded was the following exchange:

ATC: D-XXXX, please respond if you are on frequency
D-XXXX: Eh, yes, go ahead for D-XXXX
ATC: Yeah, thought I’d say hello as you appear to have established yourself on a 4 mile final

later:

ATC: D-XXXX, please expedite vacating the runway.

a few seconds later

ATC: D-XXXX, I now see you in a backtrack; expedite meant leave the runway as quickly as possible, not make a backtrack. D-EXXX, go around

And so on it went. What shocked me most is that on board was an instructor and his student

I published the recording on YouTube and was contacted a couple of days later by a member of ATC who told me that if I didn’t take it down, they would start proceedings. I at first thought – probably the instructor; however then I received a number to call and it was from the ATC unit who told me that it was illegal to make such recordings and they would give me 24 hours to remove it or I would need to face the consequences……

I took it down, but still have the video…

EDL*, Germany

Many thanks for posting that great report, Steve.

I suspect it drew the unwelcome attention because it contained radio not related to you. I normally avoid that in my videos, by editing them to leave just my own calls.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
12 Posts
Sign in to add your message