Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EuroGA website speed

Yes, remarkably more “fluent” here too. My wget still takes between 2 and 3 seconds, though.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

I find the website much faster now, during that morning period.

What you however need to remember is that if somebody has posted a load of pics into a thread, and not reduced them to a reasonable size (800 pixels wide is what we recommend) but simply linked full-size image files straight from a camera (say 3MB each), the EuroGA content (i.e. the text) will load very fast but the thread with the pics will load slowly because your browser has to actually download those images in their entirety, from wherever they were uploaded to by the poster.

I have noticed a number of cases where people have linked multi-megabyte images and, while this “all works”, it is slow for the reader.

In general this is not an issue with images hosted on picture libraries like Flickr or Photobucket (because they mostly don’t support large files – e.g. Photobucket downsizes everything to 1024 pixels wide, max) but if you link a 15MB file straight from a 20MP DSLR from say a Dropbox URL, everybody will have to download that 15MB file during the course of reading that thread

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Performance had been very good for a couple of days. Right now, 12th december, 14:47 UTC, clicking “Most recent threads” took at least 20 seconds. May have been incidental, though.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium
13 Posts
Sign in to add your message