Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Is it possible to block users?

I wonder if it’s possible to skip display of some users’ posts? I appreciate it’s much less of a requirement here than on some other websites, but perhaps one day it might be a useful feature?

EGBJ / Gloucestershire

It came up before – here

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It came up before – here

Interestingly, the two guys who were most active on that thread have since left the forum on their own…

EDDS - Stuttgart

Interestingly, the two guys who were most active on that thread have since left the forum on their own…

Well maybe that’s the alternative if you can’t block nuisances

Seriously though, the S/N ratio is pretty good here, but a little squelch never did any harm…

EGBJ / Gloucestershire

Seriously though, the S/N ratio is pretty good here, but a little squelch never did any harm…

I think a little tolerance regarding different opinions is even better.

EDDS - Stuttgart

I think a little tolerance regarding different opinions is even better.

+1 for that !!

Sometimes it’s not opinions but behaviours that require tolerance. I love the fact that this forum is a place where people can be forthright without (generally) coming to blows. I love being around forthright, passionate people of all opinions! But there’s a difference between forthright and provocative. I can tolerate pretty much any opinion, but if I think someone’s repeatedly trying to provoke (whether I agree with their opinion or not) I would rather just ignore them. Being weak-willed, I find that easier by not seeing a post than by skipping over something that’s in front of me :)

Anyway, this was more hypothetical than anything, as I haven’t got to that stage yet with any forumite – though it has crossed my mind, hence my post.

Last Edited by Rich at 15 Apr 06:06
EGBJ / Gloucestershire

I think the proper solution to a forum going off the rails is setting the moderation at around the right level.

If we got somebody who was being continually provocative (a “troll”) then he/she would breach the guidelines (see the bit about trying to annoy people) and something would be done about it.

We do get a few people on here, occasionally, who have a good old rant about something, but that is normal, and as a percentage it is very small.

And, as I wrote on the other thread about this, if you can block somebody, others can equally block you. So when one day you do actually write something yourself (which, presumably, you really would like useful comments on) you won’t get them.

I too agree about the comment about tolerance. People on EuroGA are from all over Europe and beyond (with great contributors from the USA) so we are going to get some “national differences” and this is a lot better than having just 50nm radius around Blackbushe

Personally, what I find most annoying is when people keep tossing in zero-information one-liners… the internet is full of that sort of stuff.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Personally, what I find most annoying is when people keep tossing in zero-information one-liners… the internet is full of that sort of stuff.

This is why I never registered with Twitter and Facebook and never will.

What I think is worst on internet forums is when people lose their focus of the objective discussion and shift towards personal matters (“Fly thousand hours on the Vulcan first before lecturing me, boy…” pprune has a lot of that).

EDDS - Stuttgart
9 Posts
Sign in to add your message