Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

A few questions on Android phones

The Iphone hit a nerve and really took off until people found out that it is essentially building up a monopoly with their shop and Itunes. Itunes screwed over my PC when I first installed it so I never touched it again. Nevertheless, it is a huge accomplishment what Apple did, both with the Iphone and pad. They have a huge name reckognition and they pretty much owned the market for a while.

Personally I use Android primarily because I don’t need to use Itunes to transfer files from/to it. I’ve stuck to Samsung for the reason that while other Android phones may be better, one can almost be 100% sure that developers check their stuff with the Samsung devices so they will run. The tab I did not have much choice at the time as Jeppesen only had their app run on one or two Samsung tablets at first…

I find the whole debate one of personal taste and taste is not negotiable. Neither Android nor Ios will go away just now, but instead both profit from the competition by making their respective products better. And that I believe is in our interest.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

There are only two apps worth considering and both work on several platforms.

People are strange, and they have equally strange reasons for showing off their iPhone (or not).

For me, the Nexus devices are exactly what I want/need in a device. Always newest Android, and it’s “stock” Android. The Nexuses are also free and open to “root” if I should feel the urge, which I so far haven’t felt. Uncomplicated, powerful and cool.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

I know lots of people who switched from iPhone to Android, but no one who has switched from Android to iPhone.

You do now, at least online. I’ve switched back and forth a couple of times, at something between 6 and 36 month intervals.

Personally I use Android primarily because I don’t need to use Itunes to transfer files from/to it.

There is no need to use iTunes if you have an iOS device these days.

There are only two apps worth considering and both work on several platforms.

Huh? What apps would they be?

Administrator
EGTR / London, United Kingdom

Why would anybody show other people they have an iPhone if Android is so much better. We better hide the iPhones then, out of embarrassment!

For the same reasons people show off their Cirrus?

Edit: BTW I thought that in 2015 we were way past showing off phones… This is something that went out of fashion 2 years ago.

Last Edited by Aviathor at 04 Jun 09:52
LFPT, LFPN

One is SkyDemon, I guess. It works beautifully on Android.

The other one is certainly not any Jeppesen app. Jeppesen Mobile TC (which is what I use) works well on some Android devices but has major rendering problems on others. Jeppesen Mobile FD doesn’t even have an Android version.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

This is something that went out of fashion 2 years ago.

You know, aviation is conservative and usually lags behind a few years

LSZK, Switzerland

The Jepp apps are however blocked on Android devices which have been rooted, which is a major hassle for some users.

If you jailbreak an Ipad, you don’t get the same problem.

But even a non-jailbroken Ipad gives you access to the Documents directory (using an app like Iexplorer) which has major advantages. This will be blocked with IOS 8 which means if you buy any new IOS device now, you are screwed on that front.

The world is getting less “interesting” in a number of areas… I am definitely sticking to my 4.4.2 Android tablet (Samsung 8.4") and to my IOS v6 Ipad2.

Re Itunes, I thought the only way to avoid that is to have either WIFI or a mobile internet connection, i.e. any functionality obtained via a USB connection requires Itunes. Except the trivial one of downloading images off Camera Roll (but you cannot, I believe, load any images to Camera Roll that way. If I am right, that is like to make connectivity while travelling difficult, because e.g. hotel WIFI connections don’t give you a local network. You would have to use a “travel router” to establish a local WIFI LAN.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I use Dropbox for all of that. I think it works perfectly.

I think the last paragraph of my last post above may be applicable to that, unless Dropbox uses some new quantum based data transport

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yes, i remember you want to backup photos :-) I do that automatically via iCloud (runs in the background whenever i have Wifi) – or (better) to a wireless ssd in my backpack.

Sign in to add your message