Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

For those who fly with just an Ipad :) (shutdowns at high or low temperatures, and GPS losses)

That’s strange because this is the message you get when you delete plates for the particular airport. Did you report it to FF?

It was posted in the FF thread and they have seen it. I never delete anything from FF.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

One thing’s for sure in this thread… @Peter and an iPad are not compatible, or is it the other way round? Wonder why he persists 🤣

Overheating has not been a problem for me. I use the iPad I’m typing these words on right now for basically everything, from planning and flying with SD, in flight weather also thru SD. It also holds massive amounts of books, comics, references such as the plans for my RV, etc.
My only overheat issues during the last say 10 years have been when I had the airplane parked for a couple of hours, and the iPad was left in direct sunlight. And the only time I had an inflight problem, actually the overheat happened already on the ground, was departing Furnace Creek for North Las Vegas with an OAT of 43°C increasing. But that only lasted for 20 minutes into the flight, and the Xnaut cooling cradle did its job.

Apple vs the rest of the world… another never ending debate. I generally prefer the more intuitive and graphical world offered by the fruit. I tried using a no brand tablet for a while, but the same happens when I’m forced to use my Mac in it’s Windows X environment… it just feels old, outdated or even obsolete. Kinda same feeling one gets comparing Garmin avionics to the rest of the kitchen hardware 😉
Two big names with fantastic products, but also using some overly protective business practices…

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Only because FF needs an Ipad.

I don’t use the Ipad for anything else.

Administrator

No paper charts for years. We use the iPad since it appeared in 2010. Longer journeys we always do two up and one iPad for each of us is sufficient. Our panel is quite modern though, all IFR procedures and data (frequencies, minimums etc.) are available there as well. For shorter solo VFR flights I’m happy with my iPad and the avionics of the plane.

Otherwise what @Dan wrote. My iPad overheated exactly once. It was an iPad 2 in 2011which I placed on the glare shield of a Cessna in the direct sun light for really long. Since I avoid doing that it never happened to me again.

EDFM (Mannheim), Germany

terbang wrote:

For shorter solo VFR flights I’m happy with my iPad and the avionics of the plane.

I’m now imagining what terbang considers a short VFR trip…..Probably Iceland to Greece for a quick spin on a Sunday afternoon

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Emir wrote:

This simply isn’t true. And repeating it more than once won’t make it true.

OK I’ll restate: according to my own personal experience practically every time that I open Foreflight it needs at least one update. It may be in between a day or a week in between.

I know that in principle it’s not the app to blame, it’s the update cycles of all the different charts.

Emir wrote:

and you actually don’t need iPad at all, since it’s not critical device for such flight

That’s where I’m about to arrive. I was taught how to use lots of the possibilities (won’t say all) that the panel-mounted devices are able to deliver and for me all the information is right in the panel or on the printout. Therefore, no, the iPad is not a critical device.

I need a moving map when flying VFR. And then – in my personal experience there are other apps better than this.

Foreflight is great for IFR flight preparation. That’s what I actually use it for. When I’m not at home I prepare the flight with FF, that is really quite convenient.

Germany

I know that in principle it’s not the app to blame, it’s the update cycles of all the different charts.

What gets me repeatedly is the free AIP charts, not displaying if the device has not seen wifi (with FF running!) for a few days or more. Others report to the contrary, so maybe I have a corrupted installation.

Administrator

Yesterday wasn’t very hot here in south Germany, 11 degrees OAT. Inside the cockpit must have been a few degrees more. Just after a few minutes of the engine start I got overheating warning on my iPad Air that was strapped to my right knee. I switched it to the left knee and directed the airflow around it and no issues for the next five hours. iPad mini mounted on the windshield had no issues the entire time.

In my view iPads are ultra-sensitive to direct sunlight. They are more reliable if not exposed that way. However, when it comes to battery life, Apple products have become worse compared to other brands. I have an old Samsung tablet for kids. It has much better battery life.

EDMB, Germany

Arun wrote:

In my view iPads are ultra-sensitive to direct sunlight.

That and if you have it on your leg, again, it’s harder for it cool due to contact with your warm body. Somehow producing a bit of a gap between your leg and it helps immensely. I put a pen between on one end and that’s usually good enough.

UdoR wrote:

Foreflight is great for IFR flight preparation.

I’m a huge FF fanboy. But that’s not without reason. It being good for IFR preparation is a very outdated notion. I use it for VFR and with the top sub and all its features it’s basically all you ever need. From planning, to executing, to logging. The native map is just perfect. It has all the features SD has. And yeah, you guys need to try it again a little bit, read some manuals. I have no doubt it’s the best product, even for Europe, even for VFR, available albeit not the cheapest.

ELLX, Luxembourg

hazek wrote:

The native map is just perfect. It has all the features SD has.

Debateable…

hazek wrote:

And yeah, you guys need to try it again a little bit, read some manuals.

The majority of Earth population can’t do it, as FF runs only on Apple. :)
I have zero of Apple boxes at home, and around 7 Androids (that is for two people).

EGTR
Sign in to add your message