Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

For those who fly with just an Ipad :) (shutdowns at high or low temperatures, and GPS losses)

Like I already said, I dislike Apple as a company as well. But the iPad 11 pro with the pencil is a fantastic product and I found myself using it much more than just for FF. It may not be enough to spend that kind of money. But I’m certain, and it’s not up for debate, if one wants the complete package, one can get it with the pesky iPad + FF (if FF is correctly used to the fullest).

ELLX, Luxembourg

hazek wrote:

But I’m certain, and it’s not up for debate, if one wants the complete package, one can get it with the pesky iPad + FF (if FF is correctly used to the fullest).

Well, for me to start using Apple is a bit too much (like NFW), so no, I would not buy a table and a backup device and would not know what FF has to offer.

EGTR

Jepp are trying to turn Foreflight (which they own) into the only means of viewing Jepp plates (terminal charts). This is a part of their long term battle to stop people sharing Jepp charts by sharing PDFs, which cannot be generated (practically speaking i.e. a PDF for a whole airport) on an Ipad.

So for Jepp users, FF is likely to become mandatory.

And FF exists only on IOS. It is never likely to exist on Android because

• the US GA scene is almost totally Apple (lots of money, and Apple=fashion)
  • Jepp are not willing to license their charts to any app vendor that supports Android (because Android devices can be easily hacked, hence e.g. while Garmin Pilot exists on Android, the Android version won’t run Jepps)

Another thing is that if the Autorouter stops being supported by its developer (who I doubt is making money out of it, since AFAIK only Garmin licensed it) FF will be our only option for generating Eurocontrol routings. FF does work for this purpose but only just about, and with a poor interface.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

if the Autorouter stops being supported by its developer . . . FF will be our only option for generating Eurocontrol routings.

Long may Autorouter continue since is the best Route finder.
But there is a Route finder on EuroFPL – not as good, but often it is adequate.
Sometimes, because of the convenience of the EuroFPL app for delay/cancellation of flight plans, I find my route via Autorouter and then file by EuroFPL!

Rochester, UK, United Kingdom

The EuroFPL one just digs out past routes which validated. It probably still works in French Class E…

Yes I use EuroFPL too because it enables the EET to be manually set, as posted here. The AR uses a “purist” approach where the performance model is perfect, the GFS forecast winds are accurate, so why should anyone want to change the EET?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The EuroFPL one just digs out past routes which validated

That’s why, I suspect, if one flies out of Biggin Hill [EGKB] – where more people depart IFR – one can more often find a valid route.
Not so for someone, like me, who flies from Rochester [EGTO] where IFR departures are rare.
Once, though, one has found a valid route, EuroFPL will store it for you.
As my initial routes are usually to a regular Customs/Immigration field which I have used before, it works quite well for me.

Rochester, UK, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Jepp are trying to turn Foreflight (which they own) into the only means of viewing Jepp plates (terminal charts).

Jeppesen has never owned ForeFlight. ForeFlight had a strong business relationship with Jeppesen for many years before Boeing bought ForeFlight. Jeppesen was already owned by Boeing, so we are sister companies that are both owned by the same parent. ForeFlight is not the only means of viewing Jeppesen plates.

KUZA, United States

NCYankee wrote:

ForeFlight is not the only means of viewing Jeppesen plates.

What are the other means of viewing Jepp plates in flight on an Android device (the majority of world portable devices)? Not aware of anything.
You could view it on Garmin Pilot, Apple-only version, and that is it. What am I missing?

EGTR

arj1 wrote:

What am I missing?

An iPad ?

the US GA scene is almost totally Apple (lots of money, and Apple=fashion)

And we all know US pilots follow every nuance of what is now and wow in the mass market, attentive to every aspect of sending the ‘right’ message through their consumer choices

I think you’re confusing American pilots with some other group, perhaps one closer to home. The reason a lot of US pilots accept the necessity to use iPads for Foreflight is because viewed as a whole the package is a good combination of easy, effective and cheap. Not enough money being spent for any choice to be of consequence, and any choice in this area is disposable. Who cares what you buy as long as it works well until it goes in the trash after a few years.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 23 Mar 17:30
Sign in to add your message