Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Dual SIM phones - any relevance in modern times in Europe?

The Samsung S7 comes in a dual SIM version – example:

(yes, the usual Amazon con with “no warranty” – I wonder if they really can implement that, though reportedly Samsung wash their hands of these)

This one takes two SIMs, or one SIM and one SD card.

Hilariously, somebody has found a way to mod it to take two SIMs and an SD card – here

Anyway, apparently, the phone can connect to two networks concurrently (i.e. emulating two different cellular network identities) and you can specify which SIM to use for an outgoing call, and which SIM to use for voice+SMS and which SIM for data. I can see this is “only software” but it’s amazing it’s taken this long to arrive. In the past, dual SIM phones were crude solutions requiring a power-down.

In the GA/travelling context, the relevance is that you can use your normal SIM as before (retaining your number, etc) and a locally purchased data SIM for data.

In some European countries it seems hard to get generous data allowances. In the UK, I now have 3GB for £15/month and this is portable to all of Europe for £3/day, so this is probably not relevant because 3GB sidesteps the whole issue including the standard hassle of looking for free WIFI.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

For a use case: work and private number in one device.
FWIW, I believe the “dual radio” solutions have been around for a while, perhaps just not from “reputable” manufacturers.

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

I’m using a dual SIM phone for about three years now. Reason as tmo says: work and private in one device.
It’s a Wolfgang (sold by Aldi) with standard Android (no shell or extra software you can’t get rid of) and it is a solid device.
And … it takes two SIM’s and a SD-card!

Last Edited by CCO709 at 11 Apr 09:37
EHLE (Lelystad - NL), Netherlands

I think this is a problem that is effectively coming to an end in the EU.

EU Roaming Charges

From the end of this month, you can’t be charged more than 5 cent + VAT per MB for data romaing or per minute outgoing call to the EU.

Then from 15 July next year, you can’t be charged any different that you would be at home. So if you have a package for data & calls at home, it also applies when you’re abroad without any additional charges.

So for this summer, a short stay isn’t worth getting a local sim for, and next summer there is no reason to do so at all.

Obviously travelling outside the EU is different.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Before appearing under the major brands, dual-SIM phones had been available for years from obscure Chinese manufacturers, and some of them were in fact quite good. I have a Chinese dual-SIM 7" phablet called Freelander PD10 3G – an excellent piece of engineering that has served me very well for over 4 years. Another strange gizmo I have is a no-name quad-SIM phone, which is functionally ugly but can wake the dead with its ring at full volume.

Last Edited by Ultranomad at 11 Apr 14:44
LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

I could use a two sim phone. In lots of powerplants there are no connection, so the powerplants themselves make a deal with one (single) provider to set up a local net. If you use an other provider, then you cannot use the phone there. So I have two phones, one everyday that use the Telia net, and one “special” using Telenor net. It would be much easier with a twin sim phone, but it would also be much easier if the net providers could be somewhat more flexible.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Peter wrote:

In the GA/travelling context, the relevance is that you can use your normal SIM as before (retaining your number, etc) and a locally purchased data SIM for data.

I use a WiFi enabled modem/ router for that. Because it works with all the devices I use, I don’t have to shuffle a SIM card around and it doesn’t drain a device I might later want for something else.

In the UK, I now have 3GB for £15/month

Didn’t you lose a zero there? As in 30 GB (which is what I have for roughly that money). Because 3 GB seems like a bad joke.

I was always reluctant to give out my mobile number at work, for fear of getting irrelevant calls at inconvenient moments. So I bought me a cheapo dual sim GSM (a Nokia RM-761, aka Asha 200) and a second SIM card with its associated private number. It soon turned out that I work with very polite and correct people, even when I started publishing the “professional” number it was very rarely called and that hasn’t changed a year later. So that when the phone got lost I replaced it with an (even cheaper) single sim one, and am quite satisfied. The RM-761 re-emerged later, and is now available, feel free to make an offer. One day I do will have to get some kind of Android thing, though, if only as a backup navigation device.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

You need to look at UK contract prices, Martin.

You would be staggered to sit on a commuter train and count the £35 iphone contracts which are a few gb. Ok; they get the phone included.

Administrator

It turns out that the dual SIM S7 phone (930FD) does not support 4G/LTE on some networks.

Ebay UK is full of these phones, looking for mugs…

To be fair, the average Joe Bloggs won’t notice, but a lot of movies won’t play on UK 3G (300kbits/sec down) or even 3G/HSPA (3mbits/sec down).

(also it is for the Asian markets and Samsung UK will wash their hands of any warranty, but that is pretty standard in this business).

Administrator
11 Posts
Sign in to add your message