Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Windows 8 - touch keyboard auto popup

The Lenovo Tablet 2 (win8) touch keyboard has stopped popping up when a text entry box appears.

Google suggests it is not an unusual issue, possibly caused by the use of an external (USB) keyboard, but I have not found any way to switch it back.

The only way I can get the keyboard up is with the swipe in from the right (I think Micro$oft call it the "charms" - no kidding) and then one can choose from the fixed one or the touch one.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I will follow your Lenovo trials with interest. I can see the market for something that is a bit more useful than an iPad, but isnt a great big tower of a computer either. My only issue is that it runs Windows 8, which at the moment I detest, although one can apparently buy (!!) a Start menu to make it feel a bit more like good old Windows 7.

No need to buy .. just download. I've had it about 6 weeks and it makes Windows 8 tolerable again.

EGKR Redhill

Windows 8 is OK on touch devices, especially with a digitizer pen for the classic portion (the desktop). The touch interface is generally OK and well thought out. Without a digitizer pen, you will be at loss once you go to the legacy interface and given that Windows is just a legacy platform, this will happen. Unless you're interested in running old applications and/or connecting certain peripherals, there is just no reason to buy a Windows 8 tablet. Android and iOS do the job much better without the burden of 30 years of history.

Windows 8 on a PC/laptop is a different story, hardly useable. However with Classic Shell (free of charge), it's just like Windows 7 and generally very useable. I'd call it Windows 7.1 when using Classic Shell.

OK, but I am referring to the brand new win8 tablet apps like the internet explorer which comes with the unit.

When you click on a text entry box, the keyboard should pop up. If it doesn't, that is categorically wrong.

IMHO, all the legacy apps are supposed to work the same way, too, otherwise there is no point in allowing them to run.

I saw the Classic Shell, but does it solve this specific issue?

I think the change was made with an accidental keypress on the USB keyboard...

The legacy apps, including winXP in the VM box, all actually run just fine with the touch screen. I am using FlightPlanPro (under win8) and it works great, despite having quite small objects. But the on-screen keyboard still doesn't pop up!

There is a tradeoff between the Ipad interface (which tends to dictate a mostly banal functionality) and the "old" interface which gives you a great richness of functionality (but can be hard to work with fingers). I am quite impressed at how well the T2 implements it.

Certainly, the way Oziexplorer runs on the T2 makes any desire for Ozi for the Ipad completely irrelevant now, and if you want a cheap platform there is an Android version.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter, have you checked whether Tablet 2's GPS is EGNOS-enabled and whether it actually picks up the signal from EGNOS satellites?

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Ah .. only touch screen I have is an iPad.

I use ClassicShell on a new Sony laptop .... a touch screen is an entirely different proposition but Windows 8 on a normal laptop with no touchscreen is pointless.

EGKR Redhill
7 Posts
Sign in to add your message