Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What Autopilot for PA28 Arrow III when upgrading

STec/Genesys are normally very reluctant to sell just data packs or even installation hardware kits for someone to do a re-installation.

I thought STEC never support “servo-only anything” due to the Avidyne DFC90 using their servos. Various posts.

But in this case, realistically, who would find out? Aren’t you merely adding one STEC pitch servo? The way to get caught is to do a registry change…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter,

What I am talking about is this

system30alt_60PSS_pdf

The full System 30 and 62 are different.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Right – thanks.

It seems to me that this approach needs to be done off the books, either DIY or by an installer willing to do that without worrying about the strict STC interpretation stuff.

There are installers who do work like that (I know a guy, now retired, who must have done 100+ GNS boxes, all off the books) but not many.

Administrator

One of the avionics shops I talked to about getting 1x G5 + GFC 500 and keeping Aspen is not sure it can be done legally or if he want to do it.

Not sure how much he checked it up, but that was his answer right now,

ESMS, ESML, Sweden

Darkfixer wrote:

One of the avionics shops I talked to about getting 1x G5 + GFC 500 and keeping Aspen is not sure it can be done legally or if he want to do it.

Not sure how much he checked it up, but that was his answer right now,

@Darkfixer, that’s the problem with the shops – sometimes they feel can that they could milk you for more so refuse the simple jobs. ;)

EGTR

Given that doing this with the gold plated paperwork is worth 5 digits more…

I find this “can’t do it because the STC doesn’t cover this config” interpretation quite oppressive. It means that you cannot even install a jack socket somewhere on which your GPS RS232 output data can come out. In reality of course any shop will install that jack socket. Why, when it isn’t legal? The answer must be: no money involved…

Administrator

FTFY

One of the avionics shops I talked to about getting 1x G5 + GFC 500 and keeping Aspen immediately explained that would be grossly illegal, has never used Google, insists on hardcopy paper manuals for everything and business is so good right now he‘s not interested in my money. He did mention the superior quality of genesis autopilots and how he only installs those and never touches anything Garmin.

Sorry, couldn’t resist.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Where is the above quote from? It’s not on EuroGA. Doesn’t google to anything outside either.

Whoever came out with that is a dickhead.

FTFY googles to Fixed that for you – ??

I think I get it now. Except for the 1st bit, it is fictitious

For sure business is very good, because lots of people didn’t fly much during covid, and the less people fly the more they spend on stuff on the plane. The biggest spenders don’t fly at all. And lots of people never really got back into flying after covid, so they just keep spending money

Administrator

Peter wrote:

The biggest spenders don’t fly at all.

Yes. However, this is where the well equipped planes come from that want to be flown

Other than that there is for sure a lack of competition among shops.

EASA has Pilot-Owner-Maintenance and self-declared AMP, but try to find more than one examiner willing to accompany this! Due to Covid even examiners could not pass their exams (so I’ve heard from first-hand). So a freelance examiner, willing to do this sort of stuff (including also avionics) and releasing aircraft to service, like in the U.S. and on N-reg, could be that simple, but still isn’t “available on the market”.

However, it looks like time is in favor this time.

Last Edited by UdoR at 13 Apr 08:10
Germany

Peter wrote:

For sure business is very good, because lots of people didn’t fly much during covid, and the less people fly the more they spend on stuff on the plane. The biggest spenders don’t fly at all. And lots of people never really got back into flying after covid, so they just keep spending money

They will sell it after 2 years, the next guy will remove everything and install what he likes (or what his engineer likes)
Modular Avionics that mix glass and steam are like modern art, very random and very personalized

Everyone has some ‘project’ in mind and everyone thinks they got the nicest setup on earth
In the meantime, other people are mostly busy flying every weekend

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
80 Posts
Sign in to add your message