Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What is going to happen with remotely controlled planes?

This video probably show some of the more advanced autonomous flying systems. No GPS or artificially stabilized quad rotor. This is just a model airplane flying inside a restricted environment using scanners and inertial navigation. Very cool:

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

If GA can’t fit in with them then we’ll end up being the looser, because too many people (and large businesses) stand to gain from their widespread uses, for the small few involved in GA to win out.

The basic principle everywhere for this, and certainly within EASA, is that regulations for RPAS shall be made to fit existing regulations for aviation, NOT the other way around. But, it is obvious (to me at least), that this industry will become much larger than GA because of the possibilities, practicalities and cost. It may be some time before RPAS is used to fly passengers, but for everything else, and a whole bunch of new things, there are no real reason a pilot shall be on board, and no reason to have a pilot at all in many cases. An autonomous operated vehicle made for a particular purpose cannot suddenly decide to do “evil” or “wrong” things for instance (unless you have seen to many sci fi Hollywood stories).

Automatic anti collision systems is not rocket science. Even my e-Up has that, and it does not involve GPS or ADS-B or gyros or any costly hi tech whatsoever. In 20 years we will have these things flying all over the place.

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

I can see the day when we all have drone for household needs. I can see the day when every household has a few drones.

For example, why bother driving to the post office to post a letter, when you can send your drone to the post office for you. You send it off, it flies there, drops your letter in a box, and returns to its charging station all autonomously.

Many supermarkets now offer shopping on-line with a choice of delivery or collection.
With delivery, you have to wait at home inside a time window to get your stuff. (Not convenient). With collection you still have to drive there, collect it and return (costly on fuel and time). Wouldn’t it be much cheaper and more convenient if you could just program your drone to go to the supermarket and collect your pre-ordered shopping and bring it home.

The post office goes to many offices twice per day. 1 to deliver in the morning and 2 to collect in the evening (paid for). I can well see the day when they send a drone to do these instead of a post man.

The practical uses of autonomous drones for household and business chores is huge. This says to me that a lot of pressure will be brought on to make provision for them over our cities, and that eventually they will have their place and be common place.

If GA can’t fit in with them then we’ll end up being the looser, because too many people (and large businesses) stand to gain from their widespread uses, for the small few involved in GA to win out.

Last Edited by dublinpilot at 01 Feb 13:45
EIWT Weston, Ireland
Starting this month, drones with camers have been banned here in Thailand.
The local journalists were using them to cover demonstrations and protests…

Cool. Then these drones will be associated with freedom, placing them in the history books.

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Very impressive. How did they get that film out of North Korea?

KHTO, LHTL

It doesnt have to be a multimillion $ RC vehicle to cause turmoil in the world. Now that the US has shown the world the way it should be done others will follow.

What is causing turmoil in this world right now is brain washed people and kids with explosives strapped on their bodies, or hooligans with Kalashnikov and big knives (IS). There is no need for tech of any kind.

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Starting this month, drones with camers have been banned here in Thailand.
The local journalists were using them to cover demonstrations and protests…

http://tech.thaivisa.com/drones-fitted-cameras-banned-thailand/3290/

I am sure many other Asian countries will follow suite.

I have to say that the average drone pilot I have seen here at my local airport are clueless about safety or separation, and I for one will not miss them anywhere near my aircraft.

However if you want to see a real hazard to aviation Thai style, watch this. http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=420_1419261049

I wish it were an exception but they have a rocket festival where contraptions like this and rockets the size of scud missiles are launched covered by an ambiguous NOTAM “Rockets being launched in vicinity of airport”

Enjoy!
E

eal
Lovin' it
VTCY VTCC VTBD

I can just imagine Iran setting up a tractor trailers worth of RCV near some oil terminals/refineries. Placing some of the new and improved plastic explosives <3oz onto to the vehicles and programing them via GPS then sending them off in the night. The price of oil shoots right back up to $140-200 Bbl. Like magic the low demand and surplus disappear.

It doesnt have to be a multimillion $ RC vehicle to cause turmoil in the world. Now that the US has shown the world the way it should be done others will follow.

KHTO, LHTL

I agree with Alioth – traditional aeromodelling demands enough dedication that abuse is relatively unlikely. It’s one of those things that, if you’ve done it since you were a kid, seems relatively straightforward. But if your average terrorist decides they want to fly a radio-control aircraft into a politician (as an example) they’re likely to find the learning curve steeper than they expect.

One of my university flatmates wanted to put a camera on a helicopter to spy on girls. Apart from telling him I wouldn’t help him, he didn’t seem to get basic concepts such as… you have to be able to see the helicopter to control it. I was also baffled as ]girls threw themselves at him anyway. And he was doing a PhD in electronics so should have been able to follow some of the technical concepts.

Also, well before 9/11 I knew some protesters who were planning to fly a balloon with an American flag over a G8 summit so that the Americans would have to shoot down their own flag. I’m not sure what point they were making, and I suspect neither were they, but having been volunteered as a ‘technical consultant’ my advice was that 1) what they were proposing wouldn’t work (a control system based on mobile phones) and 2) if they tried using Estes model rockets as a backup plan it wouldn’t work and they were liable to be shot. What happened after I don’t know. In this day and age I would probably have had a word with someone about them.

The off-the-shelf systems certainly lower the bar.

Funny. There is a hearing on new regulations for this out just now here. The Norwegian CAA devides between 3 categories; Toys, model airplanes and RPAS. Only RPAS are considered to be aircraft according to the law (an aircraft with no pilot on board). Model airplanes are considered to be a flying entrapment with no pilot on board but is not considered to be an aircraft. The division between RPAS and model airplane is the use. If it’s purely recreation use, then it is a model airplane (or toy).

Toys are toys, and are not part of the regulation. Model airplanes have to be operated 150 m from houses/cars/persons, and below 120 m (unless it is done within a club). It’s not allowed to fly above prisons, military installations etc. But no other regulations are suggested.

For RPAS there is a whole range of stuff are suggested according to size in particular. The main issue is that lots of future aviation will be done by RPAS. Photography, video, surveillance are typical today, but other uses will certainly come along. This is a large industry already, and growing fast. These operations are done at low alts for the time being, but there are no reasons why RPAS cannot operate at any altitude and be of any size flying at any speed.

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
19 Posts
Sign in to add your message