Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What should I do with my ipad (wifi only)

Trade-in (or sell) it. Buy a new Mini 6 with WiFi….and a EFB…..fly and enjoy! :-)

ESOW, Sweden

FYI, Backmarket would give me 66€ for my Ipad, while Apple gives an estimate of 145€.

LFOU, France

My Stratus 2S has never overheated so far in up to 104 F or 40 C ambient conditions (Velcro’d onto the glare shield), whereas my iPad Mini can be induced to overheat in the hottest conditions under a bubble canopy unless it’s fan-cooled by its mount.

One thing about the GPS and ADS-B receiver that I want is connection by wi-fi so that multiple devices log in reliably and automatically every time when I turn on the master switch and the receiver powers up. I don’t use bluetooth for flying.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 20 Sep 14:20

So a tablet without an internal GPS is of little use for GA flying.

Total nonsense. I’ve been flying with non-GPS iPads for something like 10 years now. In the club fleet I use the panel GPS and ADS-B in via Garmin Flightsteam, in the Barons a Stratus III that gives me both GPS and ADS-B in.

Oh, and in all these years I had one (yes: one) overtemp iPad shutdown. What’s more susceptible to overtemp is – annoyingly – the Stratus. I wouldn’t buy this anymore, but spend a bit more for the Garmin equivalent that is more temperature tolerant.

This comes to my mind (although I still use a Mini 4 myself…)

Germany

My Ipad works very well with a Skyecho 2 as GPS, and runs skydemon with traffic shown, including Flarm equipped gliders. I wouldn’t say it’s a PITA, it seems to work reliably.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

My reliable mini iPad2 has one but I either use the traffic gps or an elf – it gives the iPad much more battery life, and I’ve never had my iPad overheat

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

We’ve had multiple threads like this which show that a separate GPS is just a PITA.

If there was a GPS which can be installed sort of permanently (velcro) and aircraft-powered, it would do the job, but there aren’t (or never were) any Apple compatible ones. There was an NMEA unit from Emtac which did all this but Apple in their crazy wisdom decided to not support NMEA. Only android devices can use NMEA.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thanks a lot. I knew we have many geeks here

I would only need an Ipad for flying, that’s why I as never even tempted to unpack the one i have.

I didn’t know Apple buys back its devices. Will check for how much when I have the SN at hand.

LFOU, France

If it’s used only for SD for instance, I don’t see why it shouldn’t work just fine. External GPS is a serious drawback though. I am wondering about renewing my pad. I have this Samsung Galaxy Active (8 inch) in mind. It’s specially made to work in heat/cold and rugged environments. It has GPS and 4G which is my requirements, and is rugged.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
15 Posts
Sign in to add your message