Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What to bring an a week long VFR trip through Europe

Hello,

The trip that I’m referring to is described here: http://www.euroga.org/forums/trips-airports/2683-looking-for-expert-advice-for-european-vfr-trip-planning .

I’m wondering what to bring on this trip besides the regular items (that’s my pilot bag with a kneeboard, some prints outs for the upcoming trip, the aircraft papers, a watch, water, a sick bag for the pax, …), some clothes .

Navigation will be primarily done using SkyDemon on iPad. We will have two iPads on board for redundancy plus an iPhone. I still may want to print out trip papers before any unfamiliar trip. Or maybe not?

I’ll have some oil with me to refill.

I MAY bring life jackets, to be able to cross water, but I will probably not bring a life raft (due to cost/weight and no PLANNED extensive water crossings).

Have I forgotten anything critical?

Cheers
Patrick

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

- A spare credit card kept in a different place than the normal one (maybe hidden somewhere on the plane). Cards disappear in cash machines, people do get robbed and hotel rooms do get broken in. Happened to some of my colleagues all over Europe (I have been spared so far, but for how long?). If you have a passport and an identity card, keep them in different places as well. You will be traveling outside the EU and without a document, your one-week tour can quickly become two weeks. I always leave one passport and one credit card in the plane (won’t tell you where because this is a public forum ), just in case.

- A traveling adapter for your chargers.

- Spare batteries for your camera and some spare memory cards. If I managed to take some good pictures, I usually leave the memory card with my spare documents on the plane and use another one in the camera so that when the camera gets stolen, I still have my photos.

- A wad of 5 and 10 Euro bills for taxis and tips.

EDDS - Stuttgart

Enough cash for a full tank of fuel, a taxi and a hotel room.

Agree on the second credit card (preferably to a different account/bank or a debit card instead).

A portable battery and it’s various charging adaptors, for ‘on the road’ emergency power.

For a longer VFR trip like this, I’d always bring a tend and sleeping bag. The only time I ever needed it (unplanned) was on an island in France where all the accommodation was gone that day. Obviously I could have left, but having the tent allowed me to continue the trip as planned.

Drivers licence. You probably don’t plan on doing any driving, but you never know when it might come in useful!

The phone number of the aircraft engineer!

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Also spare keys for the aircraft to be kept seperate from main ones, of course.

Happy only when flying
Sabaudia airstrip LISB, Italy

You didn’t mention your passport (and that of pax)

I’d recommend taking your EU health card as well as travel insurance – although of course standard travel insurance won’t cover private flights.

Make sure your phone and possibly iPad mobile phone service works abroad.

Interception procedures (can be downloaded onto iPad)

Ideally download all the plates from the AIP for countries to be visited onto SkyDemon.

At this time of year, aircraft cover and/or lightweight reflective windscreen cover to prevent cockpit overheating in the sun.

Possibly portable tie-down kit (screw in spikes plus cord)

FlyerDavidUK, PPL & IR Instructor
EGBJ, United Kingdom

Extra engine oil in small bottles.

Car charger + power bank for iPad (my iPad discharged on way back to Losinj from Dubrovnik, car charger was not enough powerful to feed skydemon, so it became pure vfr).

Oxygen is good idea for flying higher than 5000. Otherwise, you may feel yourself completely exhausted after long legs.

Napkins + some plexiglass cleaning fluid. It’s somertime))

I also use spotconnect to allow my relatives to see my progress.

EVCA

One small tip is to pack one’s stuff into three categories

• what stays in th plane (e.g. a backup laptop)
  • what is needed for an overnight stay (perhaps not 3 sets of underwear )
  • what is needed for a longer stay

Otherwise, you end up hauling too much to the hotel at every place you stop.

On oxygen, I very soon ended up with two cylinders. If you forget to turn off a constant flow system (e.g. the oximiser cannula) it will be empty the next morning. Even with the O2D2 demand regulator it will eventually leak out because one cannot have a 1st stage regulator which drops from 2000psi to 20psi without it leaking something…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I very soon ended up with two cylinders.

It’s a mystery to me you don’t take a second aircraft with you on your trips

LSZK, Switzerland

A spare Aircarft is a good idea!

EDAZ

Works for Airforce One :)

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland
19 Posts
Sign in to add your message