Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Where is this?

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

London City airport?

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

I downloaded the image and had Bosco’s Iphone6 got a GPS fix through the window, I would have got it

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Well done Aart! A brilliant little airport for getting to the city or to the east of London.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 05 Oct 15:42
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

boscomantico wrote:

A brilliant little airport for getting to the city or to the east of London.

Unfortunately not open to GA, however quite a few aircraft did a ‘touch and go’ before it opened.

At weekends it was open for VMCC Sprints, definition of an enlightened operator.

http://www.vmccsprint.co.uk/vintage_classic_modern_motorcycle_sprint_racing/Event_Pics/Pages/London_City_Airport_2005.html

Unfortunately not open to GA…

How that? AFAIK it has a lot more GA traffic, at times at least, than scheduled flights. Not really cheap but certainly open.
http://jetcentre.londoncityairport.com

EDDS - Stuttgart

Bizjet GA only. Same with Heathrow EGLL.

Many years ago they used to have “GA days” – I vaguely recall it was on Sunday when the airport was closed to jet traffic. There is also a long debate about whether a clearance from ATC to overhead the place is legal. IIRC the CAA has stated that it isn’t, but really I can’t remember.

This is what it looks like, or looked like when SEP GA used to routinely fly via LCY. Of course I didn’t take that photo and have absolutely no idea who did

The legality hinges on whether the Thames river and these areas of water are legal places for the purpose of the glide clear rule. Most people think so but the CAA differed.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yes, the annual ga day was a good event, and enjoyed by all. You will be fine requesting and receiving an overfly in a twin and making your way up the lee valley, which we did all the time years back in seps. Actually routing south towards may i always felt was the highest risk as it is very built up, the valley on the other hand has plenty of reservoirs.

A very nice airport and very conveniently situated to get into the City of London via DLR… I used it almost every week a couple of years and still, when flying to London, I try to get a flight into DLR. Come to think about it, I might have a last visit before this exit thing is getting really serious :)))

Last Edited by EuroFlyer at 06 Oct 07:42
Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

This was SEP too. Obviously only options there are London city airport and water

26 Posts
Sign in to add your message