Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Which ATPL theory course?

I know there’s already a few threads on this, but many are old and not specific to my situation.

Is there a benefit to studying ATPL theory at a local flight school? The school near me charges 3500eur, and I’ve seen schools for half that, including one based in Lithuania for 1300. Is this basically the same thing, and does it have any effect on where I take the exams or the rest of my training? I like the instructors here, but not that much.

MO
Austria

Some employers do prefer pilots who have studied an integrated presential course at a flight school. I have been weeded out of a couple of application processes because of this, as I did the long distance modular thing studying with an atpl software (aviation exam in my case).

Depending on your previous background some things might be easier to understand in a flight school. However, if you’re disciplined the long distance thing is very doable and can be faster than doing all theory in a school.

LEBL, Spain

I have zero experience of this but what I have heard over the years is that if they like you as a person at the interview, with the right attitude and looking smart, the right haircut and no tatoos / body piercings etc, and you ace the simride, then you go right past the other 100 candidates. It is the other cases where they use various criteria to make a decision.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@Peter I do completely agree. And it was the big airlines with tons of applications that have to establish some sort of criteria beforehand to minimize the applicant pool. So I didn’t even get the chance to show them my tattoos ;-)

LEBL, Spain

Thanks for the input! I’m not too worried yet about job searching, for now I’m just trying to justify the extra expense, since most of my study will be online anyway.

MO
Austria

I would advise not to waste money. You’ll have to do the work yourself at home, no matter who the lecturer is. At my local school ATPL theory is 929 EUR.

LPFR, Poland

Thanks everyone. I’ve decided on the CATS online school for the theory. 3 trips to Luton doesn’t seem like too much, and even with hotels and everything it comes out at least a thousand euros less than any school around here. I guess I should go study now.

MO
Austria

Careful: The exams are harder in the UK because they change questions and Diversify them by making you fill out blanks.

Abeam the Flying Dream
EBKT, western Belgium, Belgium

My intention is to do finish the course there, then do the exams here in Austria. As far as I know, this is perfectly legal and OK.

MO
Austria
9 Posts
Sign in to add your message