Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Why are GAMI injectors customised for each engine?

The easiest way to get the gami data is to do a flight, very smooth air, say 5000ft, autopilot, adjusting the mixture from rop to lop very slowly, say 0.1 usg per hour steps, one step per minute, and then download the edm700 log, and plot it out in excel.

On a tb20 I would do it at the typical cruise setting eg 23 2300 and start at 14 gph and lean to 10gph.

Pick a really nice day with no clouds because you want constant oat and don’t want the autopilot to be adjusting the pitch all the time heavily because that changes the blade pitch which affects the egts etc.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thanks Peter. I’ll do exactly that.

Howard

Flying a TB20 out of EGTR
Elstree (EGTR), United Kingdom

Manual plotting is a thing of the past. Upload the file to Savvy Analysis and let them do the plotting!

I assumed that this was broadly known on this forum. Is this tool unsuitable for some reason I missed?

LFPT, LFPN

No manual plotting. You download the EDM data using the JPI software, export to Excel .xcl, open in Excel, select the desired range, and click the Chart button.

The old JPI software would save as csv which was better.

GAMI will see what they need.

Also make sure the EDM is set to the best resolution. Their software is crap. The 1F resolution causes the display to show in 1F increments but the recorded data is in 10F steps, due to a stupid compression system they use, because, ahem, the biggest memory chips today can hold only 2 kilobytes :)

This means that one should do polynomial curve fitting in Excel, to get smooth plots. I posted some here a while ago.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

No manual plotting. You download the EDM data using the JPI software, export to Excel .xcl, open in Excel, select the desired range, and click the Chart button.

The old JPI software would save as csv which was better.

GAMI will see what they need.

The GAMI web page does say that they want the data in the native format of the engine monitor.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Upload to savvyanalysis.com and send them the link. Free service, or $120 for expert engine reports. I get a report before and after any maintenance. Worth every penny.

Flight from Guernsey to Fairoaks.

Savvy report

Last Edited by chrisparker at 15 Aug 10:08
Spending too long online
EGTF Fairoaks, EGLL Heathrow, United Kingdom

I think you have to be doing a lot of hours to recoup the investment in Gami injectors but perhaps for some it’s more a matter of perfectionism.

Not at all. Some engines cannot run at peak EGT (the best MPG point) without excessive vibration. Here is some data from today – look at the fuel flow and the speed:

(Caveat – this is FL110, +6C, and you do get different curves for different altitudes)

The average UK PPL flies at the bottom one – mixture lever fully forward

GAMIs will pay for themselves far quicker, in most cases.

If GAMI take your EDM data directly, that’s great. They never used to.

Administrator

I got this reply from GAMI:

Administrator

Howard wrote:

Could someone explain to me how I go from having a datafile that I have output from my EDM700 (which I have on my Mac) to having a valid order for Gami injectors. I can’t find such an obvious question answered on the Gami website. I was expecting their website to have an email address to which I could send my EDM data file and a webpage on their website which invited me to do just exactly that in order to create business for them.

Thanks

Howard

I have ordered them (TCM TSIO520) and indeed this was unclear until I have actually placed the order and I was told that my carefully obtained pre-installation GAMI test was of NO USE, because they normally send you an “initial set” of injectors, which is the same for every engine of your type; then you do the GAMI test and if your GAMI spread is too large, they swap one or more injectors for different ones, or tell you to swap specific injectors in the engine. Wihin 12 months after the initial order they do it for free. I have installed them and I must say that they are very useful and the GAMI people very nice. They come handy even if you do not want to fly LOP, because they allow you to get better fuel efficiency even at ROP operations (assuming that you do care and monitor the EGT/TIT for that purpose). I can confirm that the initial set reduced the GAMI spread significantly (from over 2gph to approx. 1.1gph) but we will need at least one more iteration before we are within the desired 0.5 gph band.

CenturionFlyer
LKLT

Here is the GAMI test from my new engine, after 8 hours. The old GAMI injectors were installed in the same cylinders as before.

It is really good

I will send it to GAMI but I doubt they will suggest replacing #3.

The above was at low level cruise: 23" 2400rpm 11.5GPH, 4300ft +6C. 140kt IAS.

The reason for the big steps in the values is because the crappy JPI/EDM software stores values only if they change by 5F or some such.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message