Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Why do engines shudder on shutdown?

Another idea added to the “Russian” shutdown procedure but just as useful to any aircraft engine: When cleaning the spark plugs after taxiing at your parking position, before switching off the mags at idle , do a quick mag check there as well. The engine will be hot so this would show any problems in the ignition system. Plus you will have plenty of time to fix the problem and will not be pressed when finding out this problem just before the next takeoff. Vic
vic
EDME

Peter – think of your power plant as six independent single cylinder engines joined together. When all six are producing the same power, all is smooth.

When a cylinder starts to produce less power than the others, you will get increased vibration. LOP is very often less smooth than ROP as the %mixture/power curve is steeper LOP. When LOP a small change in %mixture creates a bigger power change than ROP

When you shut down by pulling the mixture you are going will be moments of extreme power imbalance where one cylinder has stopped producing power all together. Combine this source of imbalance with the accurate comments above regarding resonance and you get yourself a shudder

We feather when we put the brakes on, then go through the shutdown checklist, so they are turning fairly slowly when the fuel goes off..

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Feathers during shutdown as fuel and feather are same lever.

EGTK Oxford

A PT6 does it as well although not as much as a piston.

Ours don’t, do you feather before you shut down?

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Russian tachs are not labelled in actual rpm they are instead normalized to 0-100% engine speed, I believe the engine would be an M14P nine cylinder supercharged radial making either 360 or 400 HP. 65% speed is about 1900 rpm for an M14P and sitting there for 30 seconds before shutdown stirs up a lot of air. The start up procedure is even more Byzantine.

Allright, it´s actually 60 % rpm , Russian/German instruments, anyway some decent noise to clean the plugs. No need to be too specific with numbers , just for the effect …. Vic
vic
EDME

What is “our”? 60% power would, on an aircraft with constant-speed prop, bring the RPM most of the way to redline! In the parking area? No way!!

Last Edited by boscomantico at 06 May 21:19
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
Our shut-down procedure at the parking place is 60 % power/ half a minute for cleaning spark plugs /oil return , then 5 seconds idle and then mags switch-off. For self-ignition you need hot spots for it like loads of deposits on spark plugs or piston crown /cyl.head. Otherwise no diesel effect. Vic
vic
EDME

I tend to think along with achimha: cylinders have different rates of compression leading to different rates of self-ignition.

As for the Rotaxen: yes, mine frightened me much in this respect, until I learned to cut one magneto, count three, then cut the other. For those not in the know: no mixture lever on these engines so there’s only one way of stopping them (apart from shutting the fuel valve and wait for several minutes).

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium
20 Posts
Sign in to add your message