Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Why do we do Avionics updates?

I don’t think anybody does avionics upgrades to improve ADF accuracy

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Neil wrote:

Not sure I’m buying the precision of Russian ADFs, although they may well be a lot better than an old Narco. Just because a dial has a very finely graduated scale painted on it, it does not mean the system is precise. From the dark ages when I did theory I seem the recall that the ADF have many errors which are not just to do wth the receiver.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but here we are really talking precision vs. accuracy. I am not saying they are accurate, but there is a family of ADF navigation problems where precision is more important than accuracy: for example, determining the distance to an NDB by the rate of change of relative bearing to it (the NDB had better be situated more or less abeam).

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Yesterday contacted Brussels Control…around the Belgian German border…FL080, it sounded like it was Cotonou radio on HF…my KX165 25Khz had it better then the GNC255 8.33…..;-) So why do we upgrade I don’t have a clue :-). To keep regulators happy :-).?..Again is still love my KLN90B …it calculates perfectly TAS based on my old Beech OAT probe…yes it even tells me the ATIS frequencies…:-). I’d wish for more power that 40Kts headwind was killing me yesterday….

EBST
23 Posts
Sign in to add your message