Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Why is this airplane so cheap? (Morane MS-880 Rallye)

Looks like it found a new home, at least it’s gone from Planecheck.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Peter wrote:

Haven’t all GA planes from that era big corrosion issues? Back then there was a huge GA boom and they were not built to last. The early TB9s and TB10s corroded pretty well too. The paint was nothing special.

Rallyes have developed a special reputation for corrosion. While aluminum construction did lead to corrosion issues for all types in relation to tube and rag, most other aluminum types do not have the same reputation. In addition, French built Cessnas, Piper Comanches, Bölkows and others of the era were primed internally, which has generally prevented problems.

Neil wrote:

A number of Rallyes have big corrosion issues

Most of them aren’t flying anymore, or have been properly treated. It is easy to spot the critical areas of Moranes at a prepurchase inspection. In the last 2-3 years I didn’t come across many severely corroded Moranes, although we have inspected plenty (purchase of one MS880, one MS883, two MS893)

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

Haven’t all GA planes from that era big corrosion issues? Back then there was a huge GA boom and they were not built to last. The early TB9s and TB10s corroded pretty well too. The paint was nothing special.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

A number of Rallyes have big corrosion issues

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Steve6443 wrote:

There was a 893 Rallye at our club, the owner had lost his medical and decided to sell. However no-one was really interested to buy it because people typically referred to it as French ‘edel-schrott’ (literally luxury junk) and the owner wasn’t too unhappy either, he flew regularly with it to the Fresian Islands..

The story isn’t entirely true. We have inquired him for the plane and he said it was sold so we never got the chance of performing an inspection on this aircraft. It is really sad to see it wasted like this, when I had a perfect buyer at hand. I am a bit angry now, to be honest.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

There was a 893 Rallye at our club, the owner had lost his medical and decided to sell. However no-one was really interested to buy it because people typically referred to it as French ‘edel-schrott’ (literally luxury junk) and the owner wasn’t too unhappy either, he flew regularly with it to the Fresian Islands.. He sadly passed away and his family donated it to the club whereupon it was mounted on a pole and the outline was covered in green LED lights, at night it looks pretty cool, letting people know who drive along the main road that yes, here is an airfield…..

Will see if I can get a decent night picture of it, it does look nice.

Last Edited by Steve6443 at 04 Jan 06:52
EDL*, Germany

I wonder what ‘textil’ company owned the plane, and why?

Could be some kind of sponsoring / advertising on that plane. In Germany it is not too seldom – even on gliders you can find the name of the bank that finances it or the name of a local brewery …

EDxx, Germany

Photo pulled from the internet, taken in 1974. I wonder what ‘textil’ company owned the plane, and why? The low airframe time doesn’t match with a company flying club plane. Company owner’s plane?

Last Edited by Silvaire at 03 Jan 15:15

Everytime a rallye leaves my hangar I go, no more rallyes. I always end up breaking that promise. They take up alot of space, are a pain to move in and out and if you leave them out the wind catches them and catches them in a way that would never stir a Cherokee.

I predict they will become a classic like a 2CV or Renault 5 in time to come.

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland
24 Posts
Sign in to add your message