Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Why no Beta on SEP VP props?

So ‘my’ airplane now lives at a different outfit and the parking situation has changed, i.e. I need to push it back into the parking after each flight (before it was a drive out/drive in space). Which got me thinking: why do SEPs not have beta which seems to be standard on turbine aircraft? Is there an engineering reason or was / is that simply viewed as unnecessary? Are there any SEPs out there that have it? Floatplanes? I am not aware of any, and I certainly would like to reverse into my parking spot under power!

Last Edited by 172driver at 01 Oct 22:55

Floatplanes, yes – e.g. AN-2V has one.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

I never turn the aircraft in the taxiway before shutting down, because I don’t want anybody to beat me over the head for blowing stones and dust at their plane. Or into their hangar. That might be one reason!

Last Edited by Silvaire at 02 Oct 00:00

Silvaire wrote:

I never turn the aircraft in the taxiway before shutting down, because I don’t want anybody to beat me over the head for blowing stones and dust at their plane. Or into their hangar. That might be one reason!

Yes, I’m embarrassed to say that I did that one time many years ago at Montgomery Field…demonstrated a complete lack of airmanship or common sense…plus someone had their charts out on the wing which I managed to blow away…all I was thinking about was not blocking traffic…the lady pilot sure put me right on the priorities!

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

Cooling

EGNS, Other

Silvaire, I do so approve. Prop-washing is one of my pet hates as my aircraft used to suffer from such lack of consideration all the time till I moved to my own hangar.

Last Edited by ChuckGlider at 02 Oct 08:51

172driver wrote:

I am not aware of any, and I certainly would like to reverse into my parking spot under power!

Using beta to reverse is dangerous and very damaging to the prop and possibly engine.

EGTK Oxford

JasonC wrote:

Using beta to reverse is dangerous and very damaging to the prop and possibly engine.

If that’s the case, why do floatplanes use it?

I guess they may need it for maniueverability. Also there are no stones on water.

EGTK Oxford

JasonC wrote:

Well, then, why do many turboprops do it routinely? Here’s an ATR42 in Prague:

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic
20 Posts
Sign in to add your message