Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Why reversing props on turboprops but not on pistons?

This looks fun, but is probably a lot more useful on a seaplane

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Also not many SEPs have fully feathering props…. The Mooney Missile and Rocket conversions being exceptions….

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

In general they aren’t needed on Pistons unless they need to manoeuvre in the water. Why would you want one?

EGTK Oxford

Why do TPs have it?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

To reduce landing distance but they are typically aircraft that have longer landing distances anyway. I never used more than Beta as the damage that can be caused to props is not worth it. Brakes are cheaper than propellers.

EGTK Oxford

I watched an Extra 500 (?? Turboprop) park at LFEY by reversing to back up towards the edge of the Tarmac. Very impressive.

LFPT, LFPN

I usually see ATR at LYBE using reverse instead of pushback.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

At EBZW, the reverse prop is also useful for parking the PC6 and the others on the small apron.

Vie
EBAW/EBZW

I watched an Extra 500 (?? Turboprop) park at LFEY by reversing to back up towards the edge of the Tarmac. Very impressive.

In every flight manual of every aircraft with reversers that I have flown (turboprop and jet) taxiing backwards using reverse thrust was strictly verboten. For various reasons each of which is valid on it’s own account.

And one of the reasons for not having reversing props on piston aircraft is that the major part of these use air-cooled engines which won’t survive long without cooling air supplied by the propeller.

EDDS - Stuttgart

what_next wrote:

In every flight manual of every aircraft with reversers that I have flown (turboprop and jet) taxiing backwards using reverse thrust was strictly verboten.
Not for this aircraft:

(My favourite aircraft – sadly no longer in service.)

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 16 Feb 21:01
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
30 Posts
Sign in to add your message